Chapter 24 - A new life

Tobias and I decided to keep our romantic relationship a secret for the time being. While we both agreed that we would give each other a second chance, we knew that if we told our families about this everyone would step in and state their unsolicited opinion. It was important to us to figure our relationship out without anyone badgering us.

For that, we found the perfect solution. While we were still in Chicago, we would have to sneak around. Admittedly, that part wasn't my favorite, but we managed to go on incognito dates and he often came to visit me during the night.

By the end of August, Tobias and I agreed to find a place for the two of us in California, and while he insisted to pay half the rent, I told him no. I decided to look for a small house that was close enough to his college, and thankfully we found something we both liked. He flew ahead to rent it, and get everything ready. He told Shauna and Zeke that now that he and Myra were no longer together he felt like a third wheel in their apartment, and decided to move out. Both of his friends protested, but he told them he had made up his mind. Eventually, they accepted his decision, but made sure to tell him he was always welcome.

Marcus was harder to convince, not because he didn't want to give his son the privacy he requested, but because he insisted to pay the rent of the new place Tobias would find. Knowing that without giving up our relationship, he had no excuse to refuse Marcus's money. So, Tobias decided to not say anything else and use the money his father gave him to pay for groceries and other things we might need. I didn't object either, knowing that he would feel extremely uncomfortable otherwise.

I know that Tobias would have loved to tell at least Zeke and his dad about us, but we both agreed that we first wanted to see where this new relationship is heading before making any announcements. What we had before was another relationship, and every single conversation we had, we would have to have again. It was imperative to get to know the people we've become, leaving the old Tobias and Tris behind.

While Tobias was getting the house ready for us, I went to talk to Grandpa about a much-needed sabbatical. There were no new projects in the works, everything was running smoothly and Grandpa had been telling me for a long time to take a vacation. I know that he meant like a few weeks or so, but I'm sure he'll be okay with me being absent for more than that.

"Are you sure?" he had asked.

"Yes. Ever since the idea of Dauntless started forming, I've been working non-stop. And then all that crap at school happened, not to mention all the new products we introduced in a very short time span. I need a vacation. I was planning to travel for a while, several months actually, hoping to get inspired. I would still be available via email or video chat, but I really need to distance myself. You said it yourself, that the moment I am close to the lab, I go into work mode and forget about anything else around me."

It wasn't hard for him to accept my logic, and even offered to support me in front of my parents in case they objected. It wasn't like they could have stopped me. I was legally an adult now, and could go wherever the heck I wanted. And I wanted to go to Tobias.

On the day of my departure, I had everyone come to my parents' house to say goodbye, claiming that I hated movie-like airport goodbyes. They agreed, thankfully, and around five in the afternoon, I took a cab to the airport. Within four hours I landed, and was finally back in Tobias's arms. Those were the longest two weeks of my life.

"What you doing?" Tobias asks as he enters our living room. It is late October, and college started a while ago. I look between my spread thighs, as I am bent over doing Yoga.

"What does it look like?" I ask with a smirk.

"It looks like my girlfriend wants me to take her from behind but is too clothed for that," he says grinning, as he plops down on the couch behind me. I roll my eyes at him and stand up.