Chapter 13 - Grand reception at the governor's mansion

A/N: I know this has nothing to do with Divergent, but it saddened me deeply to learn of the passing of one of the great legends of our time.

RIP Stan Lee. Excelsior! The world is crying today for we've lost a true #superhero. Providing us with fantastic stories, amazing heroes, blood-chilling villains and messages of #hope #love #courage, #StanLee gave millions of kids worldwide the greatest gift - faith that we too can be heroes no matter how awkward, lonely or weird we are. Thank you for decades of #entertainment. You will be greatly missed. #excelsior #marvel #ironman #thor #theincrediblehulk #blackwidow #captainamerica #hawkeye #avengers #antman #doctorstrange #blackpanther #spiderman #guardiansofthegalaxy #xmen #fantasticfour and so many more

 #excelsior #marvel #ironman #thor #theincrediblehulk #blackwidow #captainamerica #hawkeye #avengers #antman #doctorstrange #blackpanther #spiderman #guardiansofthegalaxy #xmen #fantasticfour and so many more

And here's the chapter.

I was really happy when my godfather got elected governor. He served our state first as a prosecutor, until he became District Attorney and then State's Attorney. He was always hardworking and fair when it came to his job, and he always tried to find the best solution for everyone. Most times, you can't please everyone, but he'll be damned if he didn't at least try.

Governor Ezra Rosenberg is an old Army buddy of my grandfather's. It was at Grandpa's insistence that he and his wife, French-born Margueritte Rosenberg, became my godparents. However, they were more like Uncle Ezra and Aunt Margueritte to me.

Tonight, the crème de la crème of Chicago and Illinois united in a gala-like venue to celebrate the new governor. Obviously, my grandparents, my parents and many of Dad's business associates got invited, but I was surprised to see so many young people here. Among the youngsters was none other than my ex-boyfriend, Tobias Eaton. It shouldn't have surprised me, though. Marlene told me she and her family got invited. What I didn't quite expect was to see Tobias with his new girlfriend, Myra Jenkins. To my great misfortune, I was seated at the same table as them. Plus, my sister was here too. But she was rather preoccupied with Myra, whom I learned is Shauna's new best friend. Hopefully, this one isn't as bad as Nita Alvarez.

"Good evening," I hear the governor. Everyone at the table greets him, and I turn around to stand up and give him a hug. I am pleased to find his wife standing there also.

"Tante Margueritte," I say in flawless French. We always speak French, so it comes naturally to me when I see her.

"Ma petite fleur," she replies, smiling brightly. "Little flower" is her pet name for me ever since I was a little girl. We somehow get wrapped up in our little exchange and continue so until Uncle Ezra clears his throat. We both apologize to everyone at the table, and after a brief exchange with my parents and the Eatons, Uncle Ezra and Aunt Margueritte continue, but not before she grabs my wrist and pulls me with them.

"We have someone we want you to meet," Uncle Ezra says with a mischievous glint in his eyes. What is he up to?

I follow them around getting introduced as their beloved goddaughter, while Uncle Ezra praises me shamelessly. I feel embarrassed with the attention they shower on me, but try to remain calm and collected. Finally, we arrive at a table where I find my grandparents chatting with someone. I greet my grandmother first, than my grandfather, and then the rest. I get introduced to the Carmichaels, one of Illinois' wealthiest families. And that's when I find out who I was supposed to meet. Edward Carmichael, the heir of the Carmichael Empire. I shake hands with him, and soon everyone encourages us to go dance. That's their way of saying "we think you would make a cute couple". I indulge them, and soon find myself waltzing with Edward on the dance floor.

I end up chatting all night with Edward. He is charming, smart, funny, and to my surprise not at all stuck up as I initially assumed. I learned that he just started college in New York; he loves sailing, golf and collects baseball cards. We have a lot of things in common, and he is easy to talk to. By the time my family and I leave, Edward and I decide to see each other again.