Chapter 12 - Camping trip

Dad and I have been out in the woods near Grandpa's ranch for about two days. It's just the two of us. We mainly spoke of camping stuff, like where to set camp, where to make a fire or talked about past camping trips we were on. I even showed Dad how to hunt, although he left it ultimately in my charge to provide us with food.

I have to say, we had more fun than I thought. But Mom didn't want us just to come out here to have fun. She wanted us to talk, so that's what we did. We both promised to listen to the other without interruption, and then comment on what is said. At first, it was difficult for either of us to shut up, but then we agreed it was in both our interests we get these things out in the open.

Dad told me how he always struggled with both his girls. Shauna and I are very different, and it was hard for him to figure us out. He told me he didn't mean to take sides, but he was always confident that I would succeed because that's the kind of person he thinks I am. I responded to Dad's assessment fairly easy.

"Dad, it's not a question whether I succeed or not. I know my sister is high maintenance, and she needs more of your guidance. But one doesn't exclude the other. I would love to hear from you that you are proud of me. More importantly, I would like to know that my dad has my back. I'm not saying believe me blindly when I argue with Shauna, but it would be nice if you wouldn't just assume that Shauna is innocent. Look at the prom dress incident. You were convinced I was wrong," I start saying, and he shakes his head. "Just listen to me. You made me apologize. You just wanted to get it over with. Dad, no offense, but I'm not Shauna's doormat. I'm done apologizing for things she imagined I did to her." I sit back, and eat my s'more, while Dad looks at me intently. We remain both silent for a long time until he finally speaks up.

"Honey, it's not that I don't trust you, but I hate it that my girls fight. You are sisters. One day, your mom and I will be gone. I don't want my kids to hate each other."

"That's really poetic, Dad, but it doesn't change a simple fact. Shauna is entitled. She believes she deserves everything without working for it. I'm not saying she is a bad person, but she thinks she is rich. She is not rich. You and Mom are. And you managed to have what you have through hard work and sacrifice. One time, you wanted to teach me the value of a dollar. Remember?" I ask and he nods. "I know Caleb got the same lesson. Did Shauna too?" I ask and he remains silent. "If your immediate answer isn't yes, then she didn't get that lesson. You spoil her. Period. I don't care if she gets more stuff than me, if she deserves it. Did I ever tell you what to do with your money?" He shakes his head. "I'm just saying, you are encouraging her to be a slacker, to depend on others. Shauna didn't work a day in her entire life. I'm not saying I went out of my way to get a job, but at least I volunteer, I have several extracurricular activities. My time is well spent. What about hers? What is she doing? I heard you and Mom talk to Shauna about getting her an apartment, where she can live with her new BFF," I say. "Don't get me wrong, buy it, rent it, whatever, but let her do something for it. If you think making her get a job will make her lose focus over her studies, then don't. But she needs to learn how to earn what she has. The only reason I even dare to tell you, my parent, all this is because Grandpa taught me real soon how to be responsible, and how to earn things. He might have made mistakes in the past, but who didn't?"

Dad remains silent again. We don't speak after that, and just finish our meal, and get into the sleeping bags. It's warm outside and we both just lay half outside our tents. Laying here, looking up into the night sky, I wonder if I should have really said all those things to my dad. I am not a parent, so I don't know what he is going through. I can only offer my perspective. I didn't lie, but maybe my own bias came in the way, and I made things sound worse than they actually are.

"Sometimes I forget you are the youngest," Dad finally says.

"Huh?" I ask, and turn to look at him.

"We often have such mature conversations, that I often forget how young you are. That's why I get so confused when you act like a spoiled, cranky child. I know you are better than that, and I can't figure out why you act so juvenile. I guess, you are not completely wrong. But I didn't take Shauna's side because she is my favorite or because I love her more than you or Caleb. I guess, I took her side because she looks so vulnerable." I scoff. "Tris, I don't think Mom or I ever told you this," he starts saying, but then sighs. I wonder what now. "When Shauna was born, she didn't breathe. She had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. Thankfully, the doctors saved her life, but for a while there it hung on a thread. That's why I am so scared. Not just for her, but all of you kids. I remember those first few days of Shauna's life when she was hooked on machines, in pain. It broke my heart. And every time I see her sad and crying I remember how I felt back then. I can't describe how painful it is. You can only understand it once you are a parent." Tears gather in my eyes, as Dad tells me about Shauna's first week in this world, how fragile she was, how scared he and Mom were, how critical her condition was. I can't help but shed those tears, and soon start crying.

Dad crawls out of his sleeping bag, and his tent, and comes over to me. He slips into the tent, and pulls me into his arms. He kisses my forehead comfortingly, and tells me that he loves me, and that he never meant to hurt me. He promises he will try to listen to me, before he passes judgment. And he will try to be a little stricter with Shauna. Mom told him too that he was too weak when it came to their eldest daughter, and that all that guilt he felt was misplaced. I promised him I would try harder to have a better relationship not just with him, but Shauna as well, but I couldn't promise I wouldn't tell her off if she pisses me off.

Dad nods and kisses my forehead.