Chapter 10 - Caleb's graduation

For the past months I not only managed to avoid Tobias, but also Shauna. During spring break, she came home for a little bit, and then went on a trip with her new friends from college. I was at my grandparents' ranch the whole time, working on some gadgets I've been developing for the past several months.

But now that Caleb would graduate, Mom and Dad asked her to come home for him. He wasn't in the least excited about that. Not because the potential of her and me getting into a fight, but because he too had his problems with her. It took him a while to open up about it, but while I was gone to military school, Shauna exploited him, turned him into her servant. He had to do her chores, sometimes even her homework, do whatever she said in school. He didn't really want to join the soccer team, and that's why he was so happy when the principal allowed us to have the lacrosse team. Shauna always belittled him, made him feel less worth than he actually is. He is really smart, but for two years of high school he pretended to be average. He almost blew his chance to go to Carnegie Mellon to study architecture like he always dreamed of doing. However, we both kept quiet.

The ceremony was beautiful. One of Caleb's classmates, who was chosen valedictorian, gave a beautiful speech, and emotional farewell not only to his classmates, who all started a new chapter in their lives, but also encouraged us, those who still had a few years to go. It was special and I even shed a few tears. The junior class prepared an amazing farewell video for the senior class, filming all the students of our school as we all said "good luck" to those who would leave us. It was one of the most touching ceremonies in years, and we all applauded loudly as the senior year students received their high school diplomas.

After that, we went out for lunch to celebrate Caleb's big day. The entire Prior family was present, including my grandparents, both my uncles, my aunt, and my three cousins. We sit together, most of us engaged in their own conversation with the people sitting closest to them.

"You will love college, little brother," Shauna beams. "When I first started, I knew it would be great. You get to meet all your new classmates, make new friends. But make sure to hang with the popular kids. You want to be invited to all the cool parties," she says, and winks at him.

"I'm going there to study architecture, not drinking myself stupid," Caleb retorts. Shauna seems to be taken slightly aback by his bluntness.

"You don't have to drink. Besides, you are underage for that," she says.

"So are you," Matt comments with an eye roll. "I'm sure Caleb won't go there to do something illegal."

"Have you checked their status on dorm rooms?" Grandpa asks Caleb, and he nods. They then start talking about that, joined shortly by Dad, who tells Grandpa, that they will drive Caleb to college, just like they did the year before with Shauna.

The afternoon continues mainly with us enjoying small talk, and occasionally remembering fun things that happened to us this past year.

By six p.m., I excuse myself, since I have a date with my boyfriend, and leave the restaurant. I walk down the street to the park where we agreed to meet, and wonder why he chose to meet here. He usually comes and picks me up, but I don't really care. It's nice to walk a little after sitting down for so many hours.

I enter the park and text him to see where he is. A moment later, I receive his reply with directions to where he is waiting for me. I walk leisurely through the park, the weather, while warm, isn't suffocating. Plus, the shade of the trees makes the entire area feel like an oasis right in the middle of a busy city.

As I reach the bench he is sitting on, I notice he is fidgeting. It appears something is on his mind. I wonder what.

"Hey," I say as I approach the bench. He startles slightly, but then smiles. I take a seat next to him, and give him space to gather his thoughts. Obviously, something is up, but I can't figure out what.