Chapter 3

(Edited: 11/20/19)

Adams POV

I knew what I was, how could I not, with Mother and Father speaking about it all the time. When I was younger, they would hold me and say that I was their best creation and that they were glad that they were a part of the experiment. Those words slowly stop being said to me as I turned 18, and they realized I wasn't showing any signs of S.M.T working.

The other four children had started to show symptoms within the week of their birthdays. One of the girls had a tattoo appear on her skin. The tattoo was the name of one of the other boys. He also had a tattoo of her name appear on his skin. The next couple could speak telepathically to each other. The last couple was a bit different from the other two. The girl had never seen color before, her world was completely grey and black, but one day during the week of her birthday, she hugged the boy and all of a sudden, she screamed out. Doctors and her parents came rushing towards her asking if you was ok. She blinked away tears and said, "Yes. Yes, I am so more than fine! I can see colors!" The boy however was not color blind, but he did have dreams of holding a soft small figure in complete darkness, and on the week of his birthday the darkness was gone and in its place sat a tinny hut with the girl sitting at a table.

My parents knew that I, unlike the rest, did not have single thing happen. Well, that was until earlier this week. I don't know what happened, but I was out with my girlfriend on a date and then out of nowhere her intimate touches burned. Just holding her hand was painful, kissing her made me want to puke, I felt like I was betraying someone. At the end of the date, I reluctantly told her that I couldn't be with her anymore. It hurt a lot, we had been through so much together, but at the same time I felt so sickly satisfied that I had done it. I had learned a few things within the few days of having this new acquired touch, when I would touch someone intimately or someone else touched me intimately I would get a disgusted burning feeling. Any non-intimate touches made me feel empty and incomplete. The only people who I could touch that did not make me feel either of those feelings were my parents, who were completely oblivious about the whole situation.

"Hey, Adam? Would you mind fetching your father from his office, dinner is ready." Mom asked as she set the table, placing lasagna, salad, and glasses of water down in our respective spots.

"Sure Momma." I told her as I stood up and walked out of our big kitchen. I never understood why we had such a huge house, it was only us three, and I would be moving out soon anyways.

"Of course Milo" I heard dad say from his office, "Well of course, go pick up your little girl and we will see you both in two days." He hung up.

"Where you talking to Mr. Laudicina?" I asked as I walked into the room. "How is he?"

"Milo is well; he is picking up his daughter for her birthday today, and telling her about Experiment Soulmate." Father said with a smile. "Did you need something?"

"Mom sent me to get you for dinner." I responded. He grinned. "What did Cleo make today?"

As we sat down for dinner, my parents began talking about the experiment. I just ate my food and sat quietly. 'Would it be better for me to tell them?' I asked in my head, 'Of course it would be best dumbass. They are literally experts.'

"Momma, Dad? Could I tell you something?" I was nervous, but I didn't let them know that. I am a grown man there's nothing to be nervous about.

"Of course sweetheart," Mom said, "you can always tell us anything." She had always been the one to baby me growing up. No wonder I'm a mama's boy.