Chapter 11

Adam POV

I don't know why I started an argument with him. I mean, I guess I did. When he doubted that we could work, I felt a little hurt. Why did he have to question it? The other group didn't. I don't think Nathaniel did. I didn't, so why did he? Why couldn't he just see that we are meant to be together. All three of us. I didn't ask him to love me or Nathaniel right away, but it still hurt when he admitted that he didn't out loud. I had only known him for all of five hours and I already had strong feelings for him. I didn't feel sorry for yelling at him, but I did feel like a piece of shit for doing it. The feeling only got worse as he excused himself to use the restroom.

My parents and Milo cleaned up the table, bringing everything into the kitchen to be put away and cleaned, and I felt someone sit in the chair next to mine. I looked over to see Nathaniel's worried green eyes.

"Are you alright?" His sweet voice asked me. He reached his hand forward to place it on my shoulder. I nodded.

"Of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" I stated, trying to look tough, but he saw right through it.

"That w-was a nasty argument." He pointed out. "You c-can tell m-me if your feelings are hurt." I sighed.

"It's just, I feel like I love you two already, and when he said that he didn't love us, it hurt. Didn't it hurt you too?" I explained hoping he would understand, but he shook his head.

"No, I understand were he's coming from." Nathaniel stated, then quickly explained. "We just met. That's not enough time to fall in love. What you are feeling could be that you are in love with the idea of loving us."

"I don't get it." I admitted. "What do you mean by that?" He shifted in his seat.

"W-well it means that your brain thinks you love us, but your heart feels otherwise. My Ma said that's what happened to her. She told me she loved the thought of being in love, and that thought made her think she loved my Pa." He told me. It was probably easy to understand, but I wasn't getting it.

"So you think that my brain wants to love you so much that I believe I love you?" I asked. Nathaniel shrugged.

"You believe that soulmates love each other because they're soulmates, not that soulmates love each other because of the person themselves." He once again explained. "I think that is what Connor was trying to say. He doesn't want us to love him because he is our soulmate, he wants us to love him because we like who he is. You get it?" He looked for my confirmation and I nodded.

"Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't realize what I was doing." I apologized. I couldn't believe that I didn't see it myself, and I felt horrible for yelling at Connor.

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to Adam." Nathaniel stood up. "Connor deserves an apology more than I do, maybe you should talk to him when he gets back, kay?" He flashed me an adorable smile and my heart melted. I hadn't known him for long, yet he still knows what to say to me, and he was right. I did need to apologize to Connor if I wanted anything between us.

"Yeah, thanks Nathaniel." I smiled at him. I stood up and held out my hand. "Want to go and find him with me?"

Nathaniel POV

"Want to go and find him with me?" Adam asked with his hand outstretched. I wanted to take his hand, but at the same time I didn't want to be tricked into trusting him so soon. He seemed nice, but then again so did Ma and Pa when I first met them. Despite my distrust, I reached out and took his hand, which made his smile widen.

"Alright, but he said he had to use the restroom," I pointed out. "Don't you thing we should wait for him to be done?"

"Well, I mean, I guess that would be smart." His face flushed and he softly pulled me up from my chair. "I  believe that Milo and my parents are taking care of the cleaning, so would you like to go to my room? We can get to know each other a bit better." I nodded and followed him through the house, only stopping when he made a small detour to tell his parents that they could sent Connor to his room. His room was simple, yet the most extravagant bedroom I have ever seen.

His walls where a light brown, the carpet was a salt and pepper color, and the big window on the far side of the room was covered by a dark blue curtain. In front of the window sat a dark brown writing desk that held a cup full of pens and pencils, notebooks, and a laptop. To the left of his room was an open door that lead to a half bathroom, and to the right a king sized bed covered in a cyan blue comforter and a set of different sized pillows that had colors ranging from white to dark blue. On the wall above the bed many pictures, of Adam with his parents and other men and women, looked to be hung with thumb tacks. Adam's room was amazing and clean. There were no stains or mold anywhere to be seen.

After I was done admiring the room, I noticed Adam sat on his bed.

"Well, don't just stand there," He chuckled. "Come sit down. I want to get to know you better." He patted one of the open spaces next to him on the bed. I awkwardly walked away from the door and sat on the end of his bed. It was really soft. For what seemed like minutes neither of us talked. After I realized that he probably wasn't going to break the silence, I made the brave move to do it for him.

"H-he's been gone for awhile," I stuttered. "Hasn't he? Connor, I mean." Adam nodded in agreement.

"He could be talking to the parents." He pointed out. "You've seen how talkative my mom can be." I smiled.

"Yes, but Miss. Cleo is very nice to me, so I don't mind." I stated, though he couldn't respond because the door opened and Connor stepped in.

I was happy to see him. He seemed like the type of person who could make a situation a little less awkward.

"Sorry, I didn't knock." He said, but he was looking at me instead of Adam, I figured he was still upset with him, but Adam was the one to respond.

"No, it's fine, do you want to sit down with us?" He asked. "I was thinking we could play a game to get to know each other better." I discreetly gestured to Connor, signaling that it was a good time for him to apologize. If they did get in another argument, it would have caused less of a scene if it was just us three. He shot me a thumbs up.

"Okay, what type of game do you have in mind?" Connor sat down Indian style next to me at the end of the bed, and I heard Adam inhale deeply.

"Maybe 21 questions or Never Have I Ever, but before we do that," Adam started. "I owe you an apology. I shouldn't have pushed you on it." He looked down at the bed with a semi-pitiful face. Connor shook his head.

"No, no, It's not your fault. I should have taken your feelings into consideration." He looked at me. "Both of your feelings. Things have just been really stressful today, and I'm not really sure how to handle or feel about it." The strong urge to comfort him took over me, so I placed my hand on his knee, and my heart fluttered when he placed one of his own hands on mine.

"I grew up hoping for a soulmate." Adam explained. "It was everything my parents worked for, and I was looking forward to it, but after blood tests had been taken, my parents found that there was no sign of that being possible. I was devastated, but I learned to live with it and I'm sorry that I was too eager. I am just exited that I have you, and I do want to know you as a people and not soulmates. I will try my hardest to take it slow." I nodded to show him he did a good job.

"That's all I ask of you." Connor said appreciatively. "So what game should we play?"

Words: 1463

-Setta