Chapter 5

Connor POV

Dad was on the phone for a good ten minutes, canceling on Uncle Carl then explaining my situation to Stephon, before he put his phone down on the table, and sat in his chair. He let out a deep sigh and rubbed his face.

"I think our little conversation will have to wait Champ. We have a sudden change in our plans." Dad told me attempting to smile. "We gotta drive to the lab today. Stephon wants to take a blood sample, and check your vitals. It will take us about an hour to get there, so is there anything you need before we head out?" I shifted in my seat.

"C-can we cut my hair before we leave?" I mumbled as I played with my fingers.

"What was that bud?" Dad questioned and I spoke up.

"I asked if I could, maybe, cut my hair before we go." He smiled and nodded.

"Yeah of course. Do you have a style in mind?" He didn't wait for an answer as he walked into the bathroom to grab hair clippers and a pair of scissors.

"I was thinking that I could try an undercut. Could you do that for me?" I suggested when he walked back into the room. "And can it be long enough on the top so that I can part it to the right?" He nodded and started to cut and slice away the majority of my hair.

When it was finished, Dad told me to pack at least a months' worth of clothes and shower. Sadly, packing was the easier of the two, all I had to do was grab random clothes from out of my closet, but showering was more than a little embarrassing. Technically, it was my first time seeing a naked male body, and even though it was my own, I had a hard time willing myself to reach down and clean my southern regions. Eventually I told myself I was being stupid, it wasn't like I would be cleaning another man's body.

About fifteen minutes later, we were in the car on our way to a government facility. Dad had explained that ever sense him and Mom broke apart, he moved closer to the Blacks home and it would only take about 30 minutes to get to their place, and 45 minutes to get to their laboratory.

To be honest, I was so fucking nervous. Why wouldn't I be; I was being taken to a Government laboratory, isn't the Government like, always the bad people in movies and stuff? What if my dad had been wrong, what if the Blacks were actually evil and wanted to put me into a cage or strap me to a metal table? What if Adam Black was a psychopath and traps me in his house because I'm his soulmate?

"Dad?" I called.

"Yes Connor?" He responded without looking away from the road.

"A-are you sure that we can trust these people?" He chuckled and nodded his head.

"Stop, being paranoid Cee," he said, "They really are good people. I promise they are." With that said, I felt more relaxed, leaned back, and closed my eyes to enjoy the ride. I must have dosed off because the next time I opened my eyes, we were slowly trying to make our way through a crowd of people with signs. All of the signs were saying things like; The government lies, You are NOT helping humanity, and Stop inhumane human experiments. There were so many people just standing there protesting, and they seemed so angry.

As we made our way forward, protesters turned their actions on us, and me being the curious person I am, decided to crack my window just a smidge to see what they were shouting.

"Shame on you! Ya'll are killing people in there!" One person shouted.

"The government doesn't do shit for us, so what are you really doing in there?" Another person screamed.

"You are killing people's husbands and wives and we know it." A man's voice rang through the crowd, "You are taking away chances of happy couples existing." I couldn't help but feel the irony. If anything my dad had told me was true, then they are doing the exact opposite. The Government is literally making people who have a perfect other half, well I guess in my case it would be a perfect two thirds.