Chapter 10

Before I start the chapter, I want to thank you guys for getting this story to 200 reads! You guys are so awesome!

Connor POV

I learned that Adam has no clue how to cook. Like at all. We decided on making Mac and shells with hot dogs, sense we really weren't given much time for anything else. Adam wanted to make spaghetti, but I was not about to use that shit that comes in a jar and making homemade sauce takes hours. We were put back a bit after he burnt the water for the noodles.

"Honestly though, how do you even burn water?" I scolded him. He was blushing as he tried to come up with random excuses.

"I just looked away for a second," He said. "It's not like I have to cook often. Mom does most of the cooking." I sighed. How on earth did he expect to survive away from home? Suck a dork. I sent him to go set the table.

After the new water started to boil I put the shells in and looked at the time. It was almost 5 in the afternoon. Even though it seemed like it should have been earlier. While it felt like Dad and I were at the labs for a few minutes, it was actually about two hours. It didn't help that the others stayed for an extra three hours. Adam and I had been here alone for a while, and it was kinda awkward. I didn't even know what to talk about, which allowed my mind to wonder to different places. First was my mom.

What would I do when it was time for me to go back to my mom? Would she accept me? Would I even be allowed to go home? Then I started thinking about my friends and school. Would my friends be okay with it? I never told them about me being trans. Would I be allowed to see them again? What would I do for schooling? I still had the rest of my junior year and all of senior year left. Lastly I thought about Adam and Nathaniel. Technically we were made for one another, but poly relationships hardly ever work out. There is always a lot of jealously in these kinds of relationships. Though we weren't really dating.

Just as I was turning off the stove, the sound of the door opening brought me from my thoughts. I turned to see Mr. and Mrs. Black standing in the hallway with a shy Nathaniel behind them. My father must have drove separately because he hadn't arrived yet.

"Hi Connor, how is dinner going?" Cleo asked me, walking over to look at what I was making.

"It's fine Mrs. Black, I was just finishing up." I told her and looked to Nathaniel. "Adam set the table while I was cooking. Would you help me carry the hot dogs in while I move the Mac and Shells." He seemed surprised that I asked him to help, but he nodded and cautiously made his way over to the hot pan. Just as he reached his hands out to grab it, without pot holders, I quickly put the pot that was in my hands on the counter and grabbed his arms.

"Nathaniel! Be careful, man!" I shouted, and he flinched. I tried to calm my racing heart "Dude, that is a super hot pan. You have to at least use a pot holder. I don't want you to get hurt." I told him calmly before slowly letting go of him and grabbing one pot holders I had been using.

"Here use this I only need one." I handed it to him then went back to putting the food on the table with him following close behind. The Stephon, Cleo, and Adam disappeared somewhere within that time period, but I wasn't worried about it.

"I'm sorry." I heard a soft voice say behind me. I turned to look at a teary eyed Nathaniel, who had a look of shame on his face. I shook my head and took the hot dogs from him.

"I'm not mad at you." I said softly. "You just scared me. I thought you were going to burn yourself. I have burnt myself while baking multiple times, I didn't want you to feel that. It sucks." He had a small smile on his face.

"Thank you for stopping me." His face was red and he was avoiding eye contact.

"Don't worry about it, it was no problem." I told him honestly. He nodded.

"Still, thank you." He insisted and I couldn't hold back the chuckle.

"Your welcome." I smiled.

Just then my father, Cleo, Stephon, and Adam walked into the big dining room. Everyone sat at the table with Stephon at the head of the table, Cleo on his left and Father on his right, Adam next to his mother, me next to father, and Nathaniel next to me. At first Cleo told him that he could sit next to her, but, to my disbelief, he said he was fine with sitting next to me. For the majority of the meal the parents were talking together while the rest of us silently ate. That was until I couldn't deal with not talking, so I turned to Nathaniel to start up a chat.

"So, what was your indication that the experiment worked?" I asked.

"Oh, um, I had dreams." His said in his soft voice. Adam stopped listening to the parents conversation and started to pay attention the Nathaniel and mine.

"What type of dreams?" He asked, after he swallowed a bite of his food. Nathaniel blushed again.

"Oh. W-well, at first it was d-dark, and there were invisible hands, um, touching me" He hid his beet red face behind his own hands. "But, um, last night I actually saw people for the first time." Adam nodded, seemingly interested in this topic.

"And how would you describe these people." He was smirking. I was confused, but I didn't want to seem like I didn't know what was going on, so I nodded.

"W-well, t-they were h-handsome." Nathaniel stuttered out. "Mrs. Cleo said that t-they were my s-soulmates." Adam had a victorious smile on his face. I rolled my eyes, he just wanted to be called handsome. 

"W-what was yours C-Connor?" Nathaniel asked me, his face becoming a deeper red as I lifted my shirt and turned my back towards him.

"I have tattoo's of your guy's names." I stated as he looked at my tattoo's. "So, I'm kinda screwed if this doesn't work out." I felt soft fingers tracing the names on my lower backed.

"What do you mean, "if this doesn't work out"?" Adam questioned looking at both Nathaniel and I. "We are soulmates, literally made for each other. Of course it will work out." I rolled my eyes and pulled my shirt down.

"That doesn't mean anything Adam." I stated. At his time the our parents had gone silent and were fully paying attention to our conversation. "I will straight out say it. I don't love you two. I just met you, and I can't love someone who I just met. Even if that person is my soulmate."

"I'm not saying you have to love us right now, I am just saying we are soulmates which makes us compatible it's fate." Adam argued. I was getting impatient.

"It's not fate, Adam, it is science. If it was fate, it would have happened naturally!" I pointed out. It wasn't normal and I wasn't going to be forced to be with someone because some science experiment told me I would. "What if I don't fall in love with any of you, are you going to force me to be with you?"

"No!" Adam exclaimed. "Why are you being so difficult about this Connor?"

"Boys! Enough!" Stephon shouted over our argument. "Please, both of you relax. Connor if you don't want to be with them it's fine, Adam you can't just expect SMT to make people fall in love instantly okay. You have to remember that even soulmates need to get to know each other." I started to calm down and stared down at my now empty plate, and Adam did the same.

"Sorry." We both apologized. Nathaniel hesitantly put his hand on mine and whispered to me.

"Are you okay?" He looked from me to Adam, Who was still looking down at his plate and listening to Dad and Stephon's conversation. I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I whispered back to him. "You should make sure Adam is too. I am going to the bathroom." He smiled gently.

"Okay." He nodded. I stood up and faced Cleo.

"May I use your bathroom?" I asked. She nodded.

"Absolutely, there is one down the hall. It should be the third door on the right." She directed and I made my way out of the room, signalling Nathaniel to make his move.

Words: 1470

-Setta