Chapter 9

When the family got back home from their trip, Ilhoon rushed out of the house and headed to his favorite toy shop that is selling action figures that he is collecting.  He just remembered that the shop is having a spring sale and is very thankful that they just returned on time.

     On his way, he came across an old woman who is carrying a bagful of fruits.  Due to the heavy contents inside, the bottom of the paper bag gave way and all the fruits scattered down the ground.      

     Ilhoon rushed to help the old woman, picking up the fruits one by one. He is about to pick up a banana when  someone is about to step on it.

     "Hey! Careful!" Ilhoon called out. But his warning  was a little too late. A girl stepped on it and slipped, falling down on the floor a bit hard. The paper bag she is carrying slipped from her hand.  Figurines of Hello Kitties added to the fruits on the ground.

      Ilhoon turned his attention to the girl to know if she is okay. It dawned on him that the girl is cute. He shook his head to gather his senses. He should help her up instead of gawking at her. "Are you okay?"

      "My toys.." The girl look down at her figurines.

      "You should worry more about yourself." Ilhoon said out to her. "I will collect your toys for you.  Are you hurt?" She really is cute. He could not help but stare at her.

      "I'm fine." The girl is starting to get embarrassed  since she is still down on the floor.

      Ilhoon noticed it too and before the cute girl could protest, Ilhoon suddenly carried her in his arms. The girl wrapped an arm around his neck. Ilhoon smiled. But then in a while, the girl yelped in pain.

     "Aw! Awwwww!"

      Ilhoon gently lowered her to make her stand on her two feet. "We should get you to the hospital and have you checked up."

     "I'm fine." The girl insisted. "My shoulder just got pinched when you carried me. You're so bony."

     Ilhoon's face turned red with embarrassment. Well you are cute! Ilhoon wanted to say out to her.

     "But thank you for your help. What is your name?"

      "Ilhoon." He gave out his most charming smile. The best that he could muster. "What's yours?" he asked back.

     "Yo-see".

      "Cute name."  Ilhoon accidentally said it out loud. Yo-see blushed. Ilhoon looked down and is shocked to see that he stepped on one of the girl's figurines. "Oh! Sorry!"  He made a stepped back and unintentionally stepped on another figurine. "Aish!" He did not make a move when he noticed that Yo-see did not say anything and is just looking at her broken figurines.

  He took her hand and led her back to the store. He is buying her a new set of Hello Kitty figurines.

      "You don't have to." Yo-see said out to him

     "I insist." Ilhoon bought his action figure and  replaced the figurines he broke.

      When they got out of the store, Yo-see turned to thank him.

      "It's nothing." He smiled again.  

      Just then, Yo-see's mobile phone rang. She excused herself to answer the call. Without meaning to, Ilhoon could hear parts of the conversation.  From what he heard it seems like the person who is calling her could not make it since the rehearsals took longer as it was.  

      He heard her say something about rapping. A smile escaped from Ilhoon's lips. So she is also into rapping?  They have something in common then.

     "Okay, Junie Oppa." Yo-see ended her call.

       Junie? Rap? Ilhoon's mind is reeling. She could not  possibly be  talking to Poppin' Dragon, his idol.  llhoon thought about the probabilities.  There are a lot of Junie in the world. It would not be possible. But what if?  Ilhoon tried to give it a shot. He turned to Yo-See. "I don't mean to eavesdrop on your call but were you talking to... " he stopped. "... Poppin' Dragon?"

     Yo-see simply nodded her head in confirmation.

     Ilhoon's mouth dropped open.   Poppin' Dragon!  But wait!  She called him Oppa. Is he her boyfriend? "He is your.."

     "He is my older brother." Yo-see said out. "We were supposed to meet here in a few minutes so he could take me home but he is not done with his rehearsals."

     Ilhoon  could not understand what he is feeling at the moment but he seemed to be relieved when he heard her reply. Just then Hyunsik called up.

     "Dongsaeng! Where are you?" Hyunsik demanded.  "Eomma is looking for you."

     "At the store." Ilhoon  did not bother to give too much information and wanted to end the conversation right then and there. 

     "Oh!" But Hyunsik knew better. "You're with a girl now, are you not?" Hyunsik laughed at the other line. "I'm impressed. We just got back from Japan and then you're already dating?"

     Ilhoon excused himself from Yo-see and moved himself a bit further so she would not hear their conversation.  "I kind of broke her toys." he explained.

     "Dongsaeng, are you into pre-school girls now?" Hyunsik teased him, joking.

     Ilhoon did not find it funny. "Just so you'll know, she is about the same age as me. She is cute. And she is Poppin' Dragon's younger sister." he then ended the call without waiting for Hyunsik's reply. He went back to Yo-see who is waiting patiently for him.

     "Well, I have to go home now." She announced.

     "Let me take you home then."

     "No, it's okay."

     "I don't want you slipping on the way." Ilhoon said out loud before he could stop himself.  

     Yo-see laughed at his face. A loud and care-free laugh that also brought a smile to his lips. "You're funny." she said.

     Ilhoon was being serious about it though.