Chapter 10

**I seem to be in a nasty habit of posting late. Oh well...**

Chapter 10

Today was the day.
More specifically, today was the morning— it was about four thirty, and Lyla was exhausted.

She'd had spent the week packing and re-packing her entire wardrobe, transferring most of her belongings back onto Ari's ship, and just generally worrying about the whole endeavor.

Aveline, who sat beside her at a too-early breakfast, didn't seem to share any of Lyla's anxieties. In fact, she hadn't even packed until the last possible minute (she was still trying to get the last of her gowns out the door). Lyla wished she could have such a carefree attitude.

"You need to eat something," the other girl fussed, pressing a warm roll into Lyla's hands.

Lyla pushed the bread back onto her plate. "Truly, I'm not hungry." Lyla never had much of an appetite when she was anxious. Her stomach was already buzzing with apprehension, and part of her just wanted to get on the ship and leave her mixed feelings behind her. Plus, she was only half-awake. The sky outside the windows was dark, still— Lyla never woke up this early. Her plan as soon as she boarded the ship was to crawl into her familiarly soft bed in her old bedroom and let the waves lull her back to sleep.

Ari, who Aveline had said was running an errand (Lyla didn't want to ask what errands could possibly be run at this hour), was eager to leave as soon as possible. It was his fault, Lyla thought resentfully, that she was awake before five in the morning. It would take about two days to reach Verignes, and he wanted to be there as soon as the monarchy was ready for them. What difference a few hours would make, Lyla had no idea.

Jamie, across from them, rose from the table. "I wanted to speak with Ben before I leave, but I'll see you two soon?"

"Yes!" Aveline exclaimed warmly. "We'll meet you in the front with the carriage in half an hour. Give Ben my best."

Lyla exchanged polite nods with Jamie as she briskly left the room. While at first Jamie had seemed a bit reserved, Aveline's diligent attempts at pulling Jamie back into their circle seemed to have finally softened her somewhat. She'd sat with them at breakfast, at least, and was happy to tell them about her travels; timid but amicable nonetheless. It was glaringly obvious that Jamie became more friendly when Ari wasn't around, but it wasn't as if anyone was going to bring that up.

Lyla's subsequent smile was borne of exasperation. Ari and Jamie's alternating hot and cold attitudes with each other were so reminiscent of last spring— some things never changed, she supposed.

As soon as Jamie left, Aveline focused her attention on Lyla.

"So, is this just nerves, or does it have to do with what we spoke about on tournament day?"

Lyla found herself staring at her hands. "A little bit of both, I suppose."

"Do you feel guilty about leaving?"

Lyla said nothing.

"Because you shouldn't."

Lyla picked up the roll Aveline had given her- it was cold now- and began to tear it into tiny pieces.
"I suppose I'm worried that I'll enjoy myself too much, and..." she let her words taper off.

Aveline's tone was gentle as she finished. "You won't want to come back?"

Lyla looked up at her friend, trying not to sound defensive. "Apreuna is where I belong."

"Of course."

"I just need a little time off, is all."

"Right."