Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Their voyage to the Capital was quiet.

The city was coastal, and only half a day's boat ride from the palace, but the pressing silence made the trip seem much longer.

Lyla didn't mind. She had much to think about.

The weather on the coast was much hotter; she was sweating by midday. Lyla found her favorite spot at the prow of the ship; there was a tiny bench there that she liked to sit on and watch the waves break while she listened to Aveline give Ari directions. Eli had plopped himself down on the deck nearby, his head buried in a book.

One of the littlest boys- Nate- was allowed to watch with Lyla as long as he sat on her lap. He barely said a word, his black eyes moving with fascination over each of the craggy island rocks they passed.

"A little to the left," said Aveline with her chin in her hands. Ari nudged the wheel to the side, changing course, and the ship rocked slightly in the solid arms of the ocean.

Lyla gestured to the sea. "Do you see the cave, Nate?"

"Cave." He turned the word over in his mouth, mimicking her pointing with a small, chubby arm.
After a few hours, Jamie finally emerged from below deck. "How much longer?"

"An hour or two, give or take," said Ari above the ocean breeze.

Jamie walked over to Lyla and sat down.
"You're a bit pink."

Lyla glanced at her. "Where?"

"Your cheeks, and sort of your arms, too."

"Is it bad?"

"It's fine."

"My mother always said sunburn was one of the signs of an undignified lady," chuckled Lyla. She couldn't say she missed the Apreuna Duchess all too much, but the guilt in her chest had loosened, somewhat.

Jamie smiled softly.
"When we arrive at the Capital, we don't really know what to expect, do we?" she said nervously, glancing back at their companions.

"Speak to the king, I assume." Lyla rubbed her arm with one hand. A sheepish, private part of her still hoped that the Verignes royals were innocent in the drug trade. At least, perhaps, princess Camille, or the king... "It should be an easy trip. We'll be in and out quickly. Sightsee with the princess, meet the king, it should be all very pleasant."

"Perhaps Ari and Aveline can even find someone to murder for no ostensible reason," Eli said lightly. Lyla grimaced.

"That's a great idea, Eli." Ari took a hand off the wheel and offered up a radiant smile. "Keep talking, and that someone could be you."

Eli rolled his eyes as unfolded to his feet and stalked away.

Lyla's emotions swirled as she focused down at the wooden slats on the floorboards. She followed every line and circle with her eyes, trying and failing to ignore the fact that there was a tenseness in the air that would not seem to break.
She hoped it would end soon.

Jamie huffed out a breath as she turned to Lyla as if to share her exasperation.

Lyla shot a glance at Ari and Aveline and lowered her voice, as if they couldn't hear every word she was saying. "I'll speak with him." She handed Nate to Jamie, who looked thoroughly uncomfortable with a child in her arms.

"You don't need to do that," Ari muttered to her as she passed.

"Eli's always been very black and white about things- it's just the way he is," offered Lyla, as if this helped anything.