Chapter 39

** I am officially back from my travels studying abroad, which is very bittersweet for me. Bitter because I miss it, but sweet because I can now throw myself into my writing! Which means more updates!! Yay! More info on that at the end of the chap.**

Chapter 39

Aveline was going to lose her shit.

All of her friends were nervous and on edge from the information they had to keep secret. And the capital city, while whimsical and sparkling beyond belief, only seemed to tighten this underlying rope of tension that Aveline thought would strangle her.

Plus, she couldn't stand to be around Camille's smug face a moment longer. The woman was a nightmare. Lyla and Eli followed her about like she'd invented strawberry tarts, and Aveline couldn't even say anything, because then who knew what Camille would do?

At least Jamie didn't seem to care. She was in her own world nowadays. And neither did Ari, but he liked to pretend he didn't care about anything.

Aveline stretched out her knuckles and tucked her legs underneath her lap as a small wave lapped its way up the rock she sat on. The sun abated somewhat in the earlier hours of the day, and the tide pools at this time were colorful and lively. A small crab the color of salmon scuttled up the warm, gray slab of stone, missing her leg by only a few inches.

When she wasn't forced to attend one of Camille's stupid little parties, Aveline found she had a lot of time to herself. Sometimes she disliked it; it gave her too much time to think. But then, she had a lot to think about.

Aveline glanced around. No one was watching.

Sucking in a breath, she cautiously dipped one hand into the ocean below her. It broke the surface, disturbing the small pool in soft motions. She yanked it out as if it stung.

In wonder, Aveline turned her hand around in front of her face as sharp pains shot up her arm. Tiny lacerations appeared carved into her palm, like tiny white scars, the skin there nearly translucent.
"Extraordinary," she breathed.

"Aveline!"

A voice in the distance made Aveline scramble to her feet, nearly losing her footing. Lyla stood on beach, a hand in front of her eyes to block out the sun. The skirt of the dress she wore- cream-colored, light and summery- fluttered in the direction of the wind.

As Lyla came closer, Aveline thrust her hand behind her back. "What? Nothing."

Her friend's pale eyebrows puckered delicately. "I didn't say anything."

"Oh."

Lyla kicked a slipper into the wet sand. She looked lovely today. She'd pulled the sides of her hair back into a silver barrette. And was that a new necklace? "We have received word from the palace. The illness has stopped spreading."

Aveline had suspected as much. "Well, they did put an end to the village experiments, so naturally-"

"Of course."

There was another awkward pause.

"I was thinking, if we are to ask the king today about it, what will happen then."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, afterwards?"

Panic rose up in her throat. Aveline spoke around it. "It all depends on the king's reaction. If all goes well, he will punish those responsible and we can return home." The lie made her curl her nails into her palms.

"Home..." Lyla repeated, letting the word linger as if testing it out. Amidst her quiet terror, Aveline wondered what it meant to her friend now.

God, what was she to do?