Chapter 36

**hello!! Currently posting this from London, O M G. I'm going to be studying in Europe for the next month, I am SO nervous. That's why I haven't posted this past week, so if posting is irregular... that's why. But I'll try to stay somewhat on schedule, bc the next few chapters are intense ;) Anyway, enjoy the chap, love you guys**

Chapter 36

They were to attend a ball that evening in the Capital.

Usually, Aveline didn't mind these sorts of events. But she wasn't in the mood, and had only agreed to go to get information.

Camille's maids had dressed her in a daring gown of opalescent red satin with a tight bodice and a diamond pendant on a necklace. It was striking, but something about it didn't feel like herself, she found herself thinking in the middle of a golden ballroom on the seaside edge of the city.

Outside the window, spots of flame glittered in lanterns in an idyllic garden of yucca flowers and a sandy path to the ocean.
Inside, frosted cakes and candied fruits were piled in towers on tables, and women in gowns the color of gemstones whirled around by men who wore only varying shades of black.

Camille, of course, sat with a throng of nobles at the edge of the ballroom in a blinding gown of platinum that flashed when the light caught it. The music was lively and upbeat, the floors so polished Aveline could see her reflection in the marble.
Something about the scene made her feel sticky and unsure.

Footsteps approaching made Aveline spin around, the scarlet ruffles on her dress skimming her ankles. Eli stood in front of her, his hands in his pockets.
She'd scarcely allowed herself to look at him all day, and it was with great reluctance that she raised her gaze to him now.

He looked miserable. Dark circles ringed his eyes, his golden hair disheveled all too adorably. His cheeks were ruddy and flushed, as if he were upset. He swallowed, visibly, and Aveline opened her mouth to speak.

"Aveline," Eli whispered. "Can we talk? Please?"

Her voice felt thick. "Didn't you already say everything?"

"It's not what you think. I don't care what you do, or... did, or..." His hand ran agitatedly through his hair. "I'm trying to protect you, Ave, I don't want you to get hurt."

"What makes you think you need to protect me?"

His gaze darted urgently around the room.

"You don't know the people here. If they find out what you did-"

"Excuse me," Camille's chirping voice seemed to warble from out of nowhere as she slid in between them. Her eyes landed on Aveline with a light smirk. "You don't mind if I steal him for a moment, do you?"

Aveline wanted to bash her skull in with a crowbar.
"Of course not," she lied sweetly through gritted teeth.

Eli let Camille lead him away, still staring at Aveline with that regretful, tortured expression, and she tried not to let it bother her too much.

Camille was stupid. The Capital was stupid. Aveline had run up and down the length of the Verignes beach for hours yesterday, and it wasn't as if sleep had been a possibility. She was so exhausted she was swaying on her feet, and Ari kept staring at her as if waiting for her to implode, and this gown itched.

A server passed by her, then, balancing a platter on one hand and fussing with his apron with the other. Aveline snatched a glass off of the plate and downed it in seconds, her eyes on Eli and Camille as they whirled dizzyingly around the ballroom.
The servant stared at her.

"Thanks," she blurted, and grabbed another.

-

Aveline really hadn't experienced intoxication since she was seventeen.