The Fire Dies

*** This chapter is out right now because of the motivation provided by a friend (who now owes me an update of her own awesome story) 

ScarlettOlivier

I'm waiting...

****

There was a stunned silence for a moment then Romulus laughed outright, his hand dropping onto Antares' arm comfortably.

"You have a knack for inspiring protective instincts, my love," he said lightly. Antares shook his head with an exasperated look then stiffened when Romanus raised red-rimmed eyes to meet Lyra's. She met them evenly with no fear, knowing full well that the red was a sign of a vampire going feral.

"Rome..." he whispered, starting to step forward. Romulus followed his gaze and cursed, the fear that wasn't in her heart springing up in his. She was the way out of his hunger. If anything happened to her,...

"Lyra, back up towards us," he said softly. Lyra's chin tilted a little more as she held the reddening eyes with hers.

"I'm fine," she answered coolly. Rome shifted his gaze to his brother's companion.

"Arion, he would attack me if I pulled him away. Get him. Before I have to kill my brother." Romulus' voice was ragged.

"Why?" Arion said, obliviously. Rome growled with frustration.

"Apologize for me later, Rome. She's not backing away," Antares said mentally as he went forward. Deliberately, he moved Romulus' hand off of him. Then let the incubus out.

"Romanus," he said with a low growl. The large man stiffened as the incubus tone began to affect him. Antares slid his arms around Lyra's body and pulled her back against him. She went but maintained eye contact. Then Antares began to hum and heat began filling the room.

"Son of a... You realize I'm going to have to listen to him rant later, right?" Arion said irritably. He stopped dead when he saw the red in his companion's eyes. "No." he whispered and Rome could see the understanding dawning on him.

"Do you really want to hurt her when there is another hunger you want to sate more? Another woman who deserves your focus?" In a sudden move, Antares pulled Lyra behind him and caught the red eyes with his own. The red began to dim as the need began to overtake the feral. Lyra began to understand why Antares was considered so dangerous. A man who could control the actions of a feral regardless of gender was something to be feared indeed. Did it indicate that something was wrong with her that she thought it just made him hotter?

Arion put a calming hand on Romanus' shoulder. "Let's go, brother. I can hear their doorman coming up and it is the night for our girl to come in, anyway. Go, get some fresh air."

Romanus broke eye contact and nodded at Arion, taking in slow deep breaths as the red faded. "OK." he agreed. He looked at his brother. "I wouldn't have hurt her," he said evenly before going out the door. They could see Stan walking up as Romanus went past him with long strides. He snagged the ice pack as he went past.

Arion blew out a breath and looked at the three of them. "He was just worried about you," he said. "He does that. He feels responsible."

"Make me a promise, Arion," Romulus said gravely. "Find something to keep him from going feral. Preferably a mistress worthy of the two of you. Or that could put up with you long enough."

"That I can do." Arion shifted his gaze to Antares "Thank you, incubus."

"You're welcome, but I didn't do it for him," he informed Arion, his arms still locked around Lyra.