The Artist of War

Romulus took in a deep breath and then released it as he fought to keep the enticement of the fog from swamping him. Antares' hot mouth slid over the worst of the injuries, sending heat rippling through his blood. He repeated the deep breathing, all of his willpower focused on pushing back the fog. If he lost that grip right now, there would be no coming back for any of them. Lyra stroked her thumb over his slightly trembling hand that gripped hers' with a tightening grip. His words earlier went through her mind. His way back.

"Antares." Lyra said softly, petting her free hand over his dark head. He looked up and the electric look in his eyes took her breath for a moment. Shaking it off, she spoke. "He needs a break."

Antares opened his mouth to protest. There were other wounds and the hunger was pounding through him. The urge to sink his teeth in and hold on had him backing up so fast he almost fell on the floor.

"Sorry, Rome." he managed. Romulus shook his head, eyes still closed.

"Don't be."

"Lyra, in the cabinet in the room there is a small chest. It has oils steeped in herbs that will help, since I can't control the incubus when I touch him." The horror of his own feral response raked over his gut, almost squashing the lust inside him. Almost.

"In a minute." she answered. Worried, Antares met Romulus' eyes when they opened and closed his own eyes as a wave of self loathing flowed over him. Rome had almost slipped and he had been blindly following his hunger. What kind of monster was he becoming?

"I'm fine, Antares." Romulus assured him hoarsely. "She caught it before I couldn't push it back."

But he hadn't, Antares thought bitterly. He had gotten lost in the taste of his lover's skin and the warmth of his body. In doing so, he would have lost him. Would have lost them both.

"Antares, don't beat yourself up over that." Lyra said, knowing that look of self hatred all too well. Antares shrugged moodily.

"I'm not. I'll go get the oils myself."

"Hey." she called as he started to go into the bedroom. He paused, hand on the door frame. "If you're not out here in ten minutes, I'm coming in after you." She smiled teasingly to soften the words, but the worry in her eyes had him sighing. She knew him too well already.

"We both will." Romulus added. Antares forced a smile to reassure them both.

"Well, then maybe I should just wait naked on the bed then."

"Hmm.. you, oils, a bed,...brings back memories." Romulus said with a smile, leaning his head back. Antares smiled again, a little less forced. Those were good memories.

"Any chance those memories could be replayed?" Lyra asked, with a sultry smile.

"Later." Antares said, the smile dying. "When I can touch the both of you knowing I won't hurt you." He went into the room, leaving the door open. They could hear him rustling around.

"You good?" Lyra asked gently as Romulus started to sit up.

"I'm fine. I just need to move over to the ottoman if he's bringing out the oils."

He moved gingerly and sat down as Antares reentered the room with a chest. He set it at Lyra's feet. "You should do this part." he said with a whisper of a smile at her. "It will be hours yet before I can taste him and not want to sink my teeth in."

Lyra nodded and opened the chest. "Ok, which ones then?"

He pointed to a bottle and she picked it up. Lyra uncorked the bottle and sniffed appreciatively.

"What is that?" she asked curiously.

"Hyssop, lavender, and patchouli steeped in olive oil imported from Greece." Romulus answered. "It is an old recipe."