Unwanted Truth

Leonardo walked into the vampire council hall, humming under his breath. Pausing, he looked around with a curious eye. Niccolo knew this because as soon as he saw Leonardo, his heart almost stopped. Flashes of Lucille's furious eyes went through his mind and memories of another dungeon surfaced.

"Is something wrong, Machiavelli?" Lucille asked coolly as the scent of his fear caught her attention. He looked back at her swiftly and shook his head.

"Nothing is wrong. I just saw someone I wasn't expecting, that's all. Excuse me." He started to walk away and she snagged his arm.
"Nonsense. Introduce me," she said with a sharp smile, nails digging in. She was not missing this.

"I'd prefer not to," he said bluntly. Leonardo spotted him and came over, making Niccolo curse under his breath.
"I was looking for you. I have a project that I was working on for you and I finally finished it. I thought I'd deliver it to you."

"Ah, so this is Leonardo. Machiavelli has told us so much about you. Bragging really." Lucille said sweetly. Leonardo waved a hand dismissively, barely looking at her. Niccolo could all but hear her teeth grind.

"He exaggerates."

"Now, now. I wouldn't say that. I've seen your work."

Leonardo paused, glancing at her irritably. "That would be a trick, seeing as how I haven't marketed anything of mine in centuries. Nicco, a word?"

Niccolo nodded and pried his arm away from Lucille's grip.

Taking his arm, Leonardo walked over next to a running air conditioner unit to mask their conversation. "I don't know what you're doing or what you're up to. I also know you won't tell me. But I wanted you to have these." He pressed a small bag into Niccolo's hands. "In anyone's hands but yours', they are harmless. And the ones that swirl are completely harmless." He lifted a hand to Niccolo's face. "Be safe, old friend."

Niccolo nodded, resisting the urge to lean into his hand. "You as well. Don't come back here. Please. It isn't safe for you."

Leonardo smiled and shrugged. "They won't touch me with you around. But I left the boy watching security. I should get back before anything happens."

"One moment. How did you know where I was? I told no one."

Leonardo smiled and patted his cheek.
"I like to know where my dearest friends are. I put nanites in your drink regularly so I can track you. Ciao, caro amico mio."

Niccolo was speechless for a moment then laughed incredulously as Leonardo walked away, whistling.

Niccolo waited until Leonardo had safely passed through the doors before he opened the velvet lined bag. He saw a collection of marbles and his throat closed up with emotion. Lucille came over and looked in the bag. The colorful stones looked harmless, but given that they had come from a man known for his innovation, she didn't trust appearance.

"Are those marbles? What would he give you those for?" she asked suspiciously. Niccolo cleared his throat, trying to push past the love that had nearly overwhelmed him. That would get him killed.

"I used to carry a marble set around with me after I was turned. A reminder of my human life. The marbles were my son's. I lost them during the chaos of the Awakening. He's replacing them with a matching set." The warmth of Leonardo's hand where it had touched him lingered. He focused, suddenly aware that Lucille was watching him closely. "Problem?"

"I thought that you had some ulterior motive other than Leonardo but it really is all about him isn't it? Why? And how do you think he's going to react after he finds out?"