Prologue

Akihiko's POV

It was a Saturday afternoon. I had to wake up at a decent time today. Sure I did have that deadline, but even so I was going to be out of town with my phone off so Aikawa wouldn't be able to harass me like usual. I couldn't help but let the smile grow across my face, it was just too much fun to trouble her.

The house was a mess, though that really wasn't that unusual, maybe I could remember to hire a cleaning service to stop off while I'm gone. I laughed once again, because I realized that I wouldn't remember to do that. I never remembered to do anything really. How I was able to publish so many books and BL manga was really a mystery to even myself, but I always was able to do it.

I finished packing a bag with a change of clothes. It was the end of the year again. The same awful ritual that repeated itself every year for as long as I could remember. I took the bag and then grabbed my keys. I headed out to my car, the red foreign sports car. Just having the keys to it brought satisfaction. I have never been a materialistic person and I don't really care about rewards, but I loved this car. I'd never gotten toys really, but the first toy I ever saw was a remote toy car that looked just like mine. I never really wanted anything before that, so just finally having it was enough to satisfy me really. Taking a single step out of it summoned tons of fangirls, it was pleasing enough to know that I got something that was all mine, no matter how much someone else might want it.

All my childhood my brother took what was mine, just because it was mine. So this car was a small victory, but a victory none the less.

I got in and started the three hour drive. At least I figured it'd be three hours with traffic. I'd have to go to the old family house where my brother currently lived. His father lived, wherever the hell he lived, he was always moving. For whatever reason, instead of going to a restaurant like we had done every year, Haruhiko wanted to have dinner at home. Either way I didn't really care one way or the other the sooner it happened, the sooner I'd be out of there.

The drive had been going smooth enough, and I was proud of myself. I had been awake for about 4 hours and Takahashi Takahiro had not entered my thoughts. It was supposed to be a long drive so I thought to turn on the radio. But then that damn song had to come on. It was the worst song ever written. The lyrics started piercing through my head..

Sono te hanasanai de hanasanai de

Boku ga soba ni iru kara

Donna toki demo waratte waratte

Hana wo sakasete yo

Of course of all the songs that were popular right now they had to play that song. This old song... 8 months old and they're still playing this song! That was our song... our song that he had to ruin! Since high school there was no man or woman that I had ever loved like I loved Takahashi Takahiro. We knew each other since high school. Of course he was completely oblivious to my affections, but I never pressed it because I would rather have him as a friend than as nothing.

8 months ago I heard this song. Immediately without hesitation I thought about Takahiro. So I bought him the CD. It was a small gesture, and it was definitely nothing new. I always had bought things for Takahiro, so him not thinking the song meant anything was really know surprise. I loved him, he didn't nor would he ever love me, and I was fine.

But then came last month. It was his wedding, already the worst day of my life as it was. It was at his reception and the DJ announce the newlyweds first dance. I was already trying to conceal my fist under the table, but then it started to play.

Sono te hanasanai de hanasanai de

Boku ga soba ni iru kara

Donna toki demo waratte waratte

Hana wo sakasete yo

I saw her smile, and I saw him lip sync while they glided across the dance floor. As a best friend I should've been happy that he chose my song for the first dance. As a best friend, I should've been happy that I helped him choose something. But then again, I never felt like a friend to him. I never wanted to be his best friend. I had to leave to go to the bathroom. I hated myself in that moment, because I was acting like a heart-broken ex-girlfriend and I had no right to feel that way. I came back and started to block out the rest

of the wedding. I was already making plans of how to politely leave the wedding. The last thing I remember being in attendance for was some mousy kid giving the best man's toast. It was his little brother, who for whatever reason I never had formally met. Actually I knew the reason, whenever I hung out with Takahiro I always did my best to make sure we were alone.

I continued the drive and I continued to seethe in my thoughts the rest of the drive up. I had tried to hate Takahiro, but it was impossible. How could you hate someone who is so purehearted.

Huh? I didn't account for that it only took me about an hour to get there today. Dammit that means I'd be stuck there waiting awkwardly for two hours until Haruhiko got home and Father arrived. Not that I really cared for their company, but I didn't want to be in that large house alone. And to bother Tanaka who had tons of work, would be too troublesome. After parking I went to the front door, and took out my keys. "Dammit, I forgot to bring the keys to the family house." After a heavy sigh I rang the door bell.

But then the door opened and it wasn't Tanaka. All I saw was a beautiful head of silk brunet colored hair and somehow I knew that my whole life would be changed forever.