Chapter 6

A/N: This is the first chapter that is in Haruhiko's POV. Its basically a condensed version of everything that's happened the last 5 chapters with new information. I hope you like it. But I'm trying to express there are more layers to Haruhiko. One thing to clarify. I don't mind how you interpret it. But for me personally I don't think Haruhiko is cruel. I think he's robotic. I hope that makes more sense later.

------------------------------------------------------

Haruhiko's POV

8 months before Akihiko's visit

About a week ago Takahashi Takahiro contacted. He was hoping I could interview his little brother Misaki for a position at the company. Evidently the job hunting for the boy wasn't going well. Normally, I would've said no, but then I would have had to deal with a ten hour argument with my younger half-brother, Akihiko. It was always the same; I was a heartless robot, incapable of doing anything for anyone but myself. Then, I'd insult his career choice and tell him I have no respect for him. We'd just go back and forth until I had enough and hung up the phone.

Lately, I wasn't in the mood for it. I hadn't really been in the mood for anything. It was a rather strange sensation. I have always been driven, never stopping for a second. For someone my age, I had really accomplished quite a bit. Not that anyone would really respect that, considering that it was my father's company, but lately that hadn't been satisfying me. I felt empty. Normally I was working too hard to notice any feelings I had, but this was different. This emptiness was becoming more present. No matter what I was doing, I felt this emptiness inside of me. It didn't interfere with my work; I would never let anything get in the way of my work. Ever.

Yesterday, I was walking up to my car after an unusually long day. I always had it parked on the curb right outside the company. I had VIP parking privileges, but I dreaded the idea of possibly having to have pointless chit-chat on the way to the car. After work I'm always tired and don't want to be bothered by anyone. This occasion was no different, but that time something happened. As I was about into my car I noticed the pastry shop next door to the company. It had always been there. In fact, I'm sure I've even gone inside for a few lunch breaks, but I had never truly noticed it. I smelled something, I think it was strawberries, and it appealed to me. I stepped inside and the staff looked surprised to see me come in. Either they remembered me coming in at lunch time or they were about close.

Either way, I approached and ordered. "I want a strawberry pastry."

The man looked at me, a bit taken aback, "Can you be a bit more specific? We have tarts, confectioneries, cakes, pies-"

He had started listing the menu so I had to cut him off. "I smelled something baking. It smelled like strawberries and I want it."

"Oh, strawberry shortcake, I should've guessed that from the start. Right away sir. It is almost done in the oven."

I stood back and waited as a timer went off. There was some girl in the back. She was putting the icing on a cake of some kind. Somehow she had let her hand slip and ruined the whole thing. If this was my pastry shop I would've fired her right away. The man from earlier came out and sighed at the cake. She started to tear, and honestly thought he would lose his temper. I don't really like firing people as it just means more work for me. Yet, I'm a firm believer in cutting off weak links. She, in my eyes, was a weak link.

"Ai! Irie-sempai, I am so sorry. I ruined the cake for the retirement party and they'll be here first thing. I've messed up again." I was honestly amazed at the word again. She would've been gone before she could even think of saying again.

"It's okay, Tohru-chan, we'll just work on together tonight and try again. I should've watched you more closely anyway."

Her spirits were lifted and with a newfound determination started working on the batter. The man personally handled my shortcake. He came with it bagged and went to the register.