Chapter XIV

Chapter XIV

I squeezed Scott as tight as I possibly could, burying my face into his shoulder. I missed him so much.

I pulled my head back after minutes and looked into his eyes.

"How did you survive?" I asked him. I was shocked he was alive.

"I was in the woods when we were attacked. My dad mind-linked me to run, and I cowardly followed my orders," he said, shaking his head in disappointment at himself. Disappointment? I lifted my hands up and placed them on the sides of his newly prickled but still familiar face.

"Don't blame yourself," I told him comfortingly. I rubbed the side of his face and he leaned his head closer to my hand. We stayed like that, staring into each other's eyes for what felt like seconds and I heard a growl sound from somewhere off to my left. I snapped my head in that direction and was met with a furious, and totally naked, Cayden. I jumped off of Scott like he were made of hot coals.

Cayden stared murderously at Scott before advancing towards him with a deadly look in his eyes. As he started to pick up speed I ran forward and stood in between them.

Cayden was shaking in anger now. "Lily, get out of my way," he spoke in a voice that sounded eerily calm for how furious he seemed. I shook my head at him.

"Don't hurt him, Cayden, he didn't do anything wrong," I told him, speaking in a even voice, trying to soothe him.

"I come to try and...to try and fucking rescue you from potentially dangerous rogues, and come to find you embracing like you're in love?" He shouted, furious.

"Cayden please I will tell you everything if we can speak in private. Please," I pleaded, shaking. I was terrified. Not of what could happen to me, but to Scott. He could easily kill Scott and I couldn't have him die. Not after I just found him again.

I think Cayden saw how noticeably shaken I was and started to lose some of his anger. "Fine," he growled, then shifted and ran back towards the pack house, obviously expecting me to follow in tow. I shifted and ran behind him.

*****

"Now, would you care to explain what happened back there?" Cayden asked. He had calmed down since we got back to the pack house but still seemed furious at what he saw.

"Well, uh...that was Scott. Scott and I knew each other, he was a part of my old pack, and I missed him. I thought he was dead. So I ran up and hugged him when I saw him. We got put in a position that seemed...uh, compromising, I guess, and...yeah." I mentally cursed myself for the ending. I looked at Cayden and saw that he still looked pretty angry.

"And how, exactly, did you two know each other before this?" He asked, gritting his teeth. I bit my lip.

"We were, uh, best friends. Best friends since birth." That wasn't a lie...just, not all of the truth.

"And nothing more?" He asked, looking hopeful.

I opened my mouth, prepared to lie, but then stopped myself. I couldn't be in a relationship full of lies.

"We dated for, uh, a while but broke it off before the attack," I said, shrugging to try and lessen the importance of it and nonchalantly blow it off.

"Fuck, Lily!" He shouted, banging his fist on the wall. "You couldn't have waited?"

I looked at him, appalled. "Waited?! I'm a teenage girl, and I had no idea how long it would be until I found my mate! I'm sure you've been with girls! Probably slept with them, too!" I shouted, furious. I tried to ignore the aching in my heart when I thought of him having sex with anyone but me. How dare he pull this double standard on me!

He glared at me. He was even angrier than before. "I never slept with anyone! Never! I'm a virgin! My mom taught me that waiting was the best thing because she didn't and she always felt guilty about it. I just expected my mate would, too," he told me, and I could practically feel the hurt radiating off of him in waves. Then, I fully absorbed what he was saying.

"Cayden, no. You misunderstood me. I dated Scott for a pretty long time, but we never actually...we didn't have sex," I told him, shaking my head. Now I get why he was so mad.

He looked at me surprised and I could see his whole body visibly relax. His shoulders loosened and pulled back and he looked more at ease.

"Thank god," he murmured, looking around. He sat down on his bed, staring ahead of him. I walked over and sat down next to him. After a few minutes of uncomfortable but slightly relieving silence, I put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. At this exact moment, I felt at peace with the world.

I pulled my head away and looked at him. No, looked wouldn't be the right word...I stared. I stared at him and looked at every bit of his face. His eyes were closed so I saw how his eyelashes just brushed the tops of his cheeks. I saw how pink and plump his lips looked against his tan skin. I saw his jawline, so hard against the rest of his face. I couldn't contain this anymore.

"Cayden?" I tentatively asked, turning my body completely to look at him. His eyes flashed open and he turned his head to meet mine. I stared into his beautifully light-colored eyes which contrasted so nicely with his skin tone. I stared for just a few seconds more than I probably should have before pushing my body out of its previously crisscrossed position and sitting up on my knees before lifting myself up to him. I rested my forehead to his, looking at his eyes. He looked shocked. I stared for moments before I pushed the rest of my face towards his, my lips pressing against his. His lips were so soft.

This kiss was much rougher than our soft peck of a first kiss, much more needy and passionate. My lips fit to his like they were made for him and we kissed for what felt like hours, years even, but I loved every second of it because I was kissing my soulmate and I'd never be able to get enough of it.