One

Annie's POV

"Where are we goin'?" I asked my brother, and he shrugged.

"Wherever this train stops, I guess." Dally shrugged.

We were twins, and we'd spent the first fourteen years of our lives in New York. We ran away from home when we were nine, and we'd been in and out of prison since then. We ain't what you'd call 'morally sound', kids, you know? When you live on the streets, it's every man for himself.

Except if you're me and Dally. Then it's us against the rest of the world. People had tried to separate us before, but Dally threatened them with a blade and I just yelled at them.

I ain't one of those types of people that gets mad, so when I yell, people know something is wrong.

"You ever miss home, Annie?" He asked me.

"Never. You?"

"No."

"Why'd you ask, then?"

He shrugged. "Just wondering if you regret running away."

I shook my head. "Never have, never will."

Both of us were tough. I didn't remember the last time I'd cried. We both had white blonde hair, but my brothers hair was short. We were both pale, and had icy blue eyes.

I never cared enough to pay attention to mine, but Dally's eyes were hard and cold and full of hatred. I don't know what I'd do if he ever died without me.

We were extremely codependent. We'd been together since birth, best friends since before we could remember.

It was cold, in the train car. I was wearing a jeans jacket, a faded and torn madras shirt, a white shirt under the madras shirt, and black jeans. Dally was wearing a leather jacket, blue jeans, and an old sweater. All our clothes had been stolen from a thrift store.

"I'm real tired," I yawned.

"Go to sleep. I'll keep watch."

"I feel bad. You won't have anyone to talk to." I mumbled even though I was already falling asleep.

.

When I woke up, the train was still thundering along and it was beginning to get light out. Dally had wrapped his jacket around both of us, and he was out cold.

I carefully wiggled away from him and stood up, holding onto the edge of the doorway of the traincar. We were in Oklahoma. That was as good a place as any to hop off, right?

"Dally, let's get off here," I shook him awake.

"Where are we?" He mumbled.

"Oklahoma."

"Aw, the south?" He stood up and pulled his jacket back on. He took a moment to wake up before he jumped off, followed by me.

We knew what to do when you jump off a train. You twist as soon as you jump, and roll when you hit the ground.

Dally helped me up, and I brushed my hair back. I wished I had a ribbon or something. "You okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "You?"

"I'm fine. Come on, I have a feeling we're gonna be walking for a while."

.

We walked for three straight hours before we stopped in a dumpy little town called Tulsa. We hadn't known yet that Tulsa would be more of a home to us than anywhere else.

"I'm starving." Dally cmolained.

"Congratulations." I snapped, then felt remorseful. "I'm sorry. I'm hungry, too."

"Dumpster diving it is, then." He announced glumly, and I fake cheered.

"Oh, joy."

We went through an alley right by a bakery. There was bound to be something in there.

Dally boosted me up into the dumpster, and I rifled through the trash. "Moldy bread, we gonna risk it?"

"Got nothin' to lose." He shrugged, and I handed him the loaf.

That was the only salvageable thing I could find. I cut my hand on a piece of glass, but I didn't tell my brother. I didn't deem it important.

He tore the loaf in half and handed me part of it. We just had to eat around the moldy bits.