Twenty

That summer, Darry and I finally had got married. We decided not to have a wedding.

We just told the gang we were going out, and we went to the courthouse to get our marriage papers signed, and that was that.

"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Curtis." The man that had made it official said, smiling at both of us. "You may kiss the bride."

He chuckled and gave me a quick peck on the lips, and I smiled and held his hand.

"Man, we're livin' the married life, now, doll." He said happily as we walked back to the car. "We can finally change the engagement rings to wedding rings."

"No, I like the engagement ring, love. We don't need to get wedding rings."

"We been savin' up for so long, we might as well," Darry insisted, giving me a pleading look.

I sighed and gave in. "Fine."

"Good, because I may or may not have already gotten them."

"Darrel Curtis!"

"What? You deserve it!" He defended. When he looked at me, I could tell he really loved me. I hoped he knew I really loved him.

Both of us were smiling like we were crazy, but that didn't matter because we were young and we were in love and we had just been married.

He slid my engagement ring off and the new ring on, and I did the same to him.

Mine was a silver band with a small diamond embedded in it, and Darry's was a silver band with a white line through it.

"Why a white line?" I asked him, and he blushed.

"'Cause your hair is so blonde it's nearly white. I always thought that was cute." He muttered.

"Aww. You're adorable." I grinned, kissing his cheek. "C'mon, let's go home. I'm tired and that took a long time."

.

"So, how was date night?" Two-Bit asked from his position on the floor.

"Oh, I'd barely even call it a date." Darry said nonchalantly.

"You were gone for a few hours though." Pony pointed out.

"We didn't even do anything, honestly." I shrugged, studying my ring.

"Wait." Soda narrowed his eyes at me, then grabbed my hand. "It's a new ring. You got a new ring."

"Well, people normally do after they get married, little buddy." Darry grinned slyly.

"Holy shit, you two got married!" Dallas shouted, falling off the couch onto Johnny's lap.

"Oh my god!" Pony gasped.

Everyone had their fair share of cussing at us for not inviting them along.

"I doubt they'd let a bunch of greasers like you into the courthouse," I said, accepting a beer from Darry and leaning against the wall.

"Oh, you're all about callin' us greasers like you ain't one yourself." Dally gave me a pointed look.

"Ugh, at least I'm not as bad as Angela Shepard."

Everyone groaned at the mention of her.

"Not her!" Pony griped. "Her ex-boyfriend is in a few of my classes, he's almost as bad as her."

"Oh, Bryon? I can't stand that kid." Soda shook his head. "His brother is all right, but man, he's a little-"

He went on to call Bryon Douglas as many names as he could think of while Steve and Pony nodded along in agreement.

"Alright, alright, stop cussing ya little hood." Darry scolded.

"I ain't no hood!" He grumbled.