Three

Dally's POV

It was three in the morning and I was still awake. Annie and I had a rule that if one of us went out and didn't check in by two, then something bad was probably happening.

I checked my pocket to be sure I had my switchblade before I started my car and drove off.

I stopped at Tim Shepard's place. It was this late and there was still people there. I pounded on the front door and he answered after a minute. "What?"

"Is my sister here?" I sighed.

"Saw some guy takin' her out with him."

"Was she drunk?"

Tim paused to take a drink from a beer bottle. "Why the hell would I know?"

I rolled my eyes. "Dammit,"

I got back in my car and drove through the streets slowly, keeping an eye out for Annie. I saw some guy making out with her while she was struggling to get him off of her.

"That son of a bitch." I scowled, getting out and walking up to him. I grabbed him by the collar and pulled him off her and threw him on the ground. I stomped down hard on his chest.

"If I ever find out you pull stupid shit like that, EVER again," I growled, flicking out my switchblade. "I'll slit your throat and carve your eyes out."

I kicked him in the face and stomped on his chest before I let him run off. Annie was crying, and I knew she was terrified. She never cried. It had been years since I remembered her crying.

I hugged her for a few minutes until she calmed down, then I carried her to the car.

"C'mon, you're okay," I said. She never got upset like this. How was I supposed to help her? "Did he hurt you?"

She shook her head.

"He didn't... touch you, did he?"

Annie cried even harder and I felt a surge of anger. "I'm takin' you to stay the night at Darry and them's place, all right? I'm gonna take care of this."

"Dally, no!" She sobbed, grabbing my arm. "Don't do anything, okay?"

"... I won't kill him, if that's what you're saying."

"Swear to me, Dallas. Swear to me that you aren't going to kill anybody."

I sighed. "Fine. I swear I won't kill him."

"Thank you,"

"But you'll be safest with Darry."

Annie just nodded. She leaned against the window wrapped her arms around her torso, and I noticed she was shivering. "You cold? You want my jacket?" I asked.

She shook her head, and then no one said anything else for the rest of the ride. I made sure she got inside okay before I drove off.

Annie's POV

"I'm awful sorry to do this to you, Darry," I said. "I'm just- I- I don't even know."

"Is everything alright?" I looked up at him. He cupped my face in his hands, and he looked real concerned. But why would he be concerned? About me of all people, especially. "I won't make you tell me, but I'm always here, y'know."

I shook my head and started crying all over again.