Ten

The next day, they let me go home. I was glad to be out of the hospital and back with Darry (and the others) once more. I was angry that I could only walk on crutches, and I'd tried walking without them, and almost started crying it hurt so bad.

.

I'd been home for a few days, and Soda and Darry had work, and Pony had school. Johnny, Steve, and Two-Bit didn't live with us, but they were over often enough so that when they weren't there, I was awful lonely.

Dally didn't live with us either, but he didn't have a job so he kept me company. "So, what's today's plan, Annie?" He asked me.

"You're helping me with laundry, then we're going grocery shopping." I said. "And when he get home later, you're helping make dinner.

"Ugh, that sounds boring."

"I would be at work, but I can't." I scowled. "Alright, come on, carry that laundry basket downstairs, will you?"

He went down first, and I carefully made my way to the basement. Stairs were tricky with a broken leg. You either had to be carried, crawl, or just avoid them altogether. But I somehow managed to get down by myself. I sat on the floor and separated the darks and the lights, then started a load of the lights.

I tried getting back upstairs by myself, but I eventually realized I was going to fall and break my other leg. "Dally, I need you to carry me."

"Finally, she admits her weakness!" He said to no one. He picked me up and brought me upstairs. "Alright, grocery shopping is next, right?"

"Yup." I nodded, grabbing my crutches. I half hobbled, half limped to his car. Walking with crutches is always a slow process.

.

"You get to push the cart, Dallas."

"Oh, boy, I get to push the cart." He said sarcastically and I rolled my eyes.

"Don't act so excited."

After we paid, we stopped at the convenience store where Steve and Soda worked and dropped off lunches. Then, we stopped at the house that Darry was working and sat with him for a few minutes while he took his lunch break.

"So, what have you two been up to all morning?" He asked as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"I've been forcing my brother to do chores with me." I replied.

"Aw, you know me and Soda and Pony coulda done the chores."

I brushed it off. "I have nothing else to do, I might as well be productive. I can't go back to work for another month, anyways. The house is about to be a lot cleaner than normal."

"Why do I have a feeling I'm going to have to help with that?" Dally groaned.

"Man up. When you and Johnny are older and have a house, you'll be doing chores." I said and he flipped me off.

Darry didn't take long to finish his lunch. "Alright, babe, I gotta get back to work."

He helped me up and I kissed him. "Be careful," I warned, raising an eyebrow.

"You too." He replied. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Dally pretended to gag and I rolled my eyes. "You two are so sweet it sickens me."

"Oh, don't act like you don't miss your boyfriend." I said as I got in the car.

"Hey. Not relevant."

.

The whole gang had started coming over for dinner every night. "God, I've become a housewife." I complained one night as I set a pot of spaghetti on the table.

"House-girlfriend." Dallas said.

"Could be housewife." Darry shrugged, and Dally shot him a look.

"Better not." He warned. I saw Johnny, Pony, Steve, Soda, and Two-Bit exchange glances. What the hell was going on?