7

Colton and Sammy were at the club 'Ignite', in the city. His parents were concerned that he was going out so much especially so late at night but he convinced them that he wasn't going to be doing anything bad.

And he wasn't planning on it.

He did admit that he wasn't writing or reading as much as he would have liked. Things were too hectic for him to focus on anything.

He just needed to get out of the suffocating house because it reminded him of a past he could never get back.

Sammy bought him a beer. "Haven't seen you at practice in a while."

"I know."

Colton took a swig and sat down on one of the stools.

"Dude, come back. Do you know how many times Coach has been yelling at me cos you're not showing up?"

Colton shrugged with a sigh. "Yeah, sorry about that, man. I just don't have the motivation to do anything right now, especially not football."

There was a heavy silence that hung between them before Sammy broke it. His eyes were downcast and his hand gripped his bottle tight, knuckles turning whiter by the second.

Colton knew what was coming.

"How's Casey?"

He took in a sharp breath despite being able to predict his question. "I don't know. Fine? I guess."

"Shit. I can't believe this is—"

"Sam," he snarled, voice low. "I came here to forget about that for a little while. You mind shutting up?"

Sammy raised his arms in surrender, eyes a little weary.

"Alright, man."

"I just want to go back to my old self again. The one before all this shit with Casey happened, you know?"

"Then all you need is some motivation!"

Colton only rolled his eyes at the suggestion and turned back to his drink when he was tapped on the shoulder.

"And that motivation is here sooner than I thought," Sammy smirked and clapped his friend's shoulder. "Dude, a hot blonde is literally eyeing you as we speak."

He glanced over his shoulder to see that a girl, a little older than him maybe. She was eyeing him with hooded eyes and licking her plump lips.

She was attractive, he would give her that, but he wasn't interested.

Colton turned away and took another swig of his beer before shooting Sammy a 'piss off' look.

"No? Oh, come on, man. If I wasn't into Casey so bloody much, I'd be all over that chick!"

Colton shot him another look, his fists clenching with that familiar feeling of rage. "I said not to talk about her."

"Sorry, sorry—but you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do," he then cringed, "and I'd appreciate it if you didn't talk about your infatuation with my sister in front of me."

"It's not infatuation! It's love, bro."

"Yeah, sure," he mumbled, "love."

"It is!"

"I said alright!" He chuckled at the deadly frown on his best friend's face.

"You suck," Sammy whined.

"Thanks, that means a lot." Colton rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. I'm gonna order another beer."