32

They all looked at her as if she had some sort of disease.

Or that's what she thought.

She just wanted to run away from everyone's piercing eyes. The ten-year reunion was set up at their old school hall which had changed considerably.

It was strange to see all the new buildings. As soon as Mira had set foot into the school grounds, a weight was lifted off of her shoulders.

She had conquered the first obstacle, which was to actually walk through the gates of her school that only held bad memories.

But as both Colton and Mira entered the school hall, some of the chatterings amongst certain groups stopped. Their eyes all swivelled to see who the next, older and unrecognisable people would be.

It was weird seeing the people she had essentially 'grown up' with looking much older and more mature compared to when they were tiny, lanky and prepubescent teens.

"Is that Colton Hans?"

"No way."

Some people actually came forward, instantly recognising him. "Hey, wassup man!"

"Shit, you look so good."

"Who's he with?"

As more of his friends came forward to engulf Colton in a hug and greet him, Mira was met with confused looks and whispers.

Surprisingly, she was hugged by some of the girls and acknowledged by the guys that had come forward.

She wasn't used to the contact and stilled, only feeling the gentle, reassuring squeeze of her hand that was tightly secured in Colton's.

"Hey, so you both made it, huh?"

She turned to see Sammy grinning at both of them. He offered a drink but she shook her head with a polite thanks.

As Colton was occupied with chatting to Sammy and the other guys, she, on the other hand, stood awkwardly.

She only wanted to get away from the stares and the looks and the questions.

Slowly, she gathered the courage to leave Colton's side and grab a non-alcoholic drink.

She was going to be strong.

She wasn't going to be fragile, weak Mira from ten years ago.

"You went to our school, right?" a blond guy who was standing near the drinks table asked, raising his beer to his lips. "I don't think I remember you."

Mira was tense.

She wanted to run. Her grip on the cup of raspberry juice tightened dangerously as she glanced up at the guy.

"I'm Mira."

The guy seemed to choke on his drink at that. He wiped his mouth and stared at her, his green eyes wide.

"Mira?" he repeated. "As in—"

"I don't remember her," the girl from beside him said. The guy shot Mira a sideways glance before nudging the girl next to him.

He leaned down and Mira didn't know what he was saying, but she had a good idea to what it was. If her sinking stomach was any indication, then it could only be about one thing.

Why else would anyone whisper about her?

She swallowed thickly, trying to dislodge the sudden lump in her throat.

"Oh, that was her?" she heard the girl whisper back.

"Yeah."

"That's so sad."