10

Colton watched with taut lips and furrowed eyebrows as Mira ran away, head bowed.

High school was cruel in the sense that no one gave a shit about other people but themselves and grades. If fights or something embarrassing broke out, people liked to have that distraction away from their lives to the pain of others.

As long as it wasn't themselves in the dark spotlight, it didn't matter. Colton sauntered over to Mira's locker and tore down the photos from it.

"Oi!" he roared loudly, slamming his hand against the lockers to gather the attention of most people standing around, sniggering. "Instead of being a pathetic bully and making fun of other people's problems to distract yourselves from your sorry lives, try using this time to work on yourself. You all clearly need it."

Everyone stared at him, some with fear, others with interest but dispersed anyway. Colton rolled his eyes.

People were stupid.

He couldn't help but let his gaze unconsciously travel in the direction Mira went to. He wanted to make sure she was okay.

It was the right thing to do. Besides, he knew he'd appreciate it if he was in her position.

***

He was coming up the stairs when he had witnessed the heated exchange between Mira and Willow. He stopped and froze, not wanting to go up anymore in case they found him.

Colton wanted to smack Willow, but at the same time, he didn't want his reputation to be 'the angry guy' anymore. Though, as he heard the words that were said it was starting to become really difficult to push down the urge to stalk up and shove her pretty little head down the fucking toilet.

No.

He wouldn't do that anymore.

He couldn't risk it. He had promised himself that he would change for himself and for his family.

Like the selfish guy he was, he found himself blaming everyone but him. Why didn't the shit with Mira and Willow happen before he decided he was going to become a 'better' person?

He sighed as he was descending the stairs. However, it was as if something was pulling him back, telling him not to. With another sigh, this one much more frustrated, he stood near the bottom of the steps, leaning against the banister.

He could hear Mira pleading and Willow being the usual bitch she was and replying with something nasty.

Colton rubbed his forehead in exasperation as they spoke. His fists were clenched to the point where he could feel his nails digging into his now heated palms. He forced himself to tune them out until something came up that mildly captured his attention.

"...You fucking slept with my boyfriend—"

"No, I didn't! Mick and I never slept together! We never did anything!"

There was a slight pause. "So you're saying Mick is lying t—"

"Yes! I don't know why but m-maybe it's because I said I didn't have any feelings for him and it was his way of getting revenge. But trust me, Willow. I've never done anything to hurt you so why would I, now?"

Mira sounded desperate, her words coming out quick and in a pant. Colton growled under his breath; things were starting to make sense now.

Mick the Dick had obviously fed Willow with lies about Mira and his relationship which the dumb bitch had believed.

And everything was pinned on Mira.

He felt bad for her, then. Even he had doubted her when watching the Facebook video. It was easy to get lost with the crowd, he realised and suddenly, he didn't blame everyone for misunderstanding him the way people had.

As he heard footsteps retreat, he stayed at the bottom of the steps for a little while before going up again.

This time, the hallway leading up to the roof was as silent as it was dark.