29

Mira didn't know what to do.

Her gullible self had fallen in love, despite knowing it would only end in pain and suffering.

She hated how open her heart was.

"You have to eat, Mira," said Colton, sternly.

He brought the bowl of pasta closer to her face, but she turned her head away in a stubborn manner.

"No."

"I'm being serious; you have to eat."

"I'm being serious, too."

Colton watched her with desperate eyes. "Look, you can hate me all you want, but please just eat something."

She didn't hate him, though.

That was the whole problem.

Her hands trembled as she looked down at them. She wanted to hug him and to accept the comfort and love he was offering, but the fear that churned in her stomach stopped her.

Fear stopped her from doing a lot of things in life.

Mira looked at him. She reluctantly opened her mouth and watched as his shoulders slumped in relief. He brought a forkful of pasta to her lips and she ate it, albeit hesitantly.

As she chewed on it slowly, she realised she couldn't really taste it.

Maybe her incessant crying and wailing had also dried out her mouth and throat because it tasted like cardboard.

She said nothing and continued to eat, ignoring Colton's soft gaze.

The room was slightly dark, much to her relief. She didn't want him to see the dry tear stains and snot possibly on her face.

"Would you like to move in with me?"

Mira stopped chewing and stared at the chestnut-haired man in front of her with wide eyes.

His face suddenly flushed a dark pink.

"I, uh, know it's too soon and I know you don't want to give me a shot but I want you to live your life. To show up those fucked up people who thought you couldn't do it and to just find happiness for yourself. I don't want you to waste your time here, wallowing in despair."

When she said nothing but cast her eyes to her lap, he bent his head down to peer into her dark orbs.

"What do you say?" He then added for extra effect: "Skittles would love you tons, you know."

Mira didn't want to move in with Colton but she loved him.

She didn't want to.

But her heart had won over her mind.

Mira found herself nodding softly and her heart soared at Colton's high watt smile directed at her. His eyes sparkled with anticipation, affection and love.

No one had looked at her like that before.

No one but Colton.

***

Mira hated the beach.

Clearly she hated a lot of things.