Chapter Eight

The night of the ball quickly arrived, and Emily found that she was quite excited. It was to be her first public ball, as her mother had never encouraged attending country assemblies.

It wasn't customary for noblemen to attend these public events but, she learned, Nate had always made it a point to, knowing that it would show his tenants that he did not think himself better than them or above them. It was rather admirable of him, for most titled folk, including her own parents, Emily knew, thought themselves above such frivolities, that these pursuits were plebian. Nate, at least, didn't take himself too seriously.

While getting ready for the ball, she made sure to choose a gown that was not too elaborate, as did Cassandra and Alexandra. Allie, however, made it clear that she had hoped that she'd attend her first ball wearing something much fancier. Instead, she'd had to don one of her old evening gowns, rather than one of the ball gowns that Kit had bought her.

"Where's the ball being held tonight?" Emily asked, wincing as Ellen cinched the stays of her corset rather tightly, before helping her into the dress she'd picked for the evening. It was a simple cream coloured gown and, although the ribbon she'd bought the other day had been meant for the hair, she tied it beneath the bust of her dress to make it a bit more decorative, for it was quite plain.

"At the home of a gentleman by the name of Mr. Bennett. He has a large home that he has opened to the public for tonight." Cassandra answered, looking up from Allie's hair, which she was styling in a pretty, yet elaborate updo that was composed of many twined braids that were pinned to her head with little silver hairpins, with the assistance of Allie's lady's maid, Christiana.

"Are you ready, then?" Allie asked impatiently once Emily had finally been laced into her dress. She'd been the last to get ready and the other two were waiting for her.

"Sorry, give me a moment." She said, slipping her feet into her satin slippers. "Right, I'm done now."

"Good." Cassie said with a smile, hooking her arm through Emily's and pulling her downstairs. "I cannot wait to introduce you to country balls. They are such fun. They don't have any of the stuffiness we are used to at most other private balls."

"Good." She affirmed with a nod, "We could all do with a bit less stuffiness."

"That I wholeheartedly agree with." Cassandra informed her, glancing over her shoulder to see if Allie was following. Once they reached the top of the grand staircase, she added. "Alright, you and Allie go downstairs. I'll say goodnight to Juliette before meeting you there."

"Alright." Alexandra said, but didn't bother waiting for Emily before skipping downstairs and launching herself at Nate, who was waiting right at the bottom and hugging him tightly, her excitement incredibly evident. Emily chuckled, and hurried down the steps herself. Allie wrenched herself off her brother only a few seconds after that.

"Is that your new ribbon, Emily?" Nate asked, noticing instantly, making her flush as pink as the ribbon. "It suits you very much."

Emily couldn't think of anything to say in response to that, and only managed a small smile of gratitude. At the sight of this little exchange, Allie had a strange look in her eyes as she glanced between them, a peculiar smile coming upon her lips.

They didn't wait much longer than that before Cassandra and Kit arrived, descending the stairs arm in arm. Cassandra's hair was out of place and Kit's jacket was suspiciously dishevelled, which gave the others quite the clue as to what they had been doing. Nate certainly garnered the truth, for he groaned softly and scrunched up his nose.

"Under my own roof, Kit, really?" He demanded, but it was quite obvious that he wasn't serious. "At least don't make it so clear."

"What?" Allie asked, entirely oblivious. Her innocence about such matters was rather endearing. There was still a certain talk that Nate or, rather, Cassandra had to have with her. Emily and Cassandra, however, had learned whatever there was to learn through a Gothic romance novel they had seen and purchased in Hatchards, when they'd been shopping in Piccadilly together.