02-2: The Impossible Job [continued]

The night was young, and Kyrnrie had a purse full of money. Only problem was, any establishment worth visiting was owned by Tailfin, or at least Tailfin had somebody there with an extra set of keen ears and wandering eyes. And sharp weapons too, more often than not. Kyrnrie needed to keep a low profile.

So he headed for The Spotted Seahorse. Supposedly the worst establishment in Helen's Bay. So bad, Tailfin wanted nothing to do with it. At least, that was what Tailfin wanted people to think.

"Pint?"

"Make that two."

The barman eyed him suspiciously, but began pouring anyway. He handed the first one to Kyrnrie, who made sure the glass was empty long before the second pint was ready.

"Last night on earth?"

Kyrnrie checked his money bag, then scanned the tavern for any seedy looking gentlemen that might notice the purse, but nobody appeared to be paying him any attention. He flashed a large red coin to the barman. Arynlock had paid him with three of them, nothing smaller.

"Anyone around here take this?"

The barman's eyes open wide.

"A bank, perhaps," he said. "But not without asking where you stole it from."

Kyrnrie closed his fist around the coin. He fixed the barman with the sternest stare he could muster.

"You're Deklow, right?"

"I am."

"Are you on Tailfin's payroll?"

"Tailfin?"

"Right."

He sighed, shuffling, thinking. Making a show of it.

"Between you and me," he said as he slid the coin along the counter, "I need a room where I can work quietly, and all the food and drink I can stomach. This should last a very long time in this tavern."

The barman hesitated. But even though he could smell trouble, he took the coin.

"I suppose that depends how thirsty you are."

"And nobody needs to know," said Kyrnrie. "Nobody."

Deklow nodded.

"I'll take another two pints with my room key."

*    *    *

A few days of drinking and crashing in his new bed, and Kyrnrie was ready to pay Tailfin another visit. He wasn't looking forward to it. Life expectancy in Helen's Bay could be greatly improved by steering clear of Tailfin.

"Please, wait here Mr Kyrnrie," said the henchman.

"It's just Kyrnrie," he mumbled, as the man walked into Tailfin's office.

Kyrnrie glanced around the gambling den to see if anyone was watching him. As usual, most had their eyes locked onto the tables, but there was one curious man sitting quietly in the corner, scratching something on his parchment.

"Mr Kyrnrie," said the henchman gesturing to the door.

"What can I do for you today?" asked Tailfin as he entered.

"Nothing really," said Kyrnrie. "I just thought I should drop in as a professional courtesy, now that I have completed the job."

Tailfin tried to control his expression, but Kyrnrie was delighted to see restrained surprise.

"Yes. I heard you have been flashing red coins at The Spotted Seahorse."

Deklow. So predictable. So... easy.