XIV

014.|'order up'|

A bagel here a large iced coffee there except the bagel wasn't supposed to have cream cheese and the coffee wasn't supposed to be iced. People keep coming into the coffee shop as if we were having black Friday sales.

I was only in training for two hours before the manager handed me a name-tag with my name and sent me to ring up orders. Customers after customers and more after that. They won't stop coming in, they won't stop at any cause for their caffeine.

I couldn't even keep up with the cashier beside me, she rang up a customers every thirty seconds meanwhile while she was on her sixth I was still on my first. She couldn't bother to lend a hand despite knowing I was struggling, she saw alright.

I just wanted to leave, to get out of here. I wanted to get away from these caffeine addicts but they're demanding and relentless.

It's a coffee shop for crying out loud not a Tiffany's.

Customers were getting anxious, angry, and sending me death glares.

"Hey newbie, take a break." The shift leader said, he sent me a reassuring nod.

Another employee came and occupied my spot as I left the coffee bar. The anxiety in me is settling. I never knew coffee was so precarious, it makes people precarious, it makes me a victim.

As I rested my hands on the palms of my hands and exhaled deeply. The shift leader stopped by the table I sat in. He placed a hot cup of coffee on the table and gave me a small smile before returning to the bar.

At least someone here has a benevolent bone in their body. I prepped the coffee to my liking, with milk and sugar. Like I said, coffee is perilous but also delicious.

The coffee eased my nerves, relaxed me and lifted my spirits slightly. My eyes watch the people outside, people-watching soothes me. That was until I spotted Nate approaching the door.

I sat down the coffee cup quickly and searched around me. He doesn't know I work here and he can't know. I can't get up and hide, it's too late so I untied the coffee apron. I tossed it behind me carelessly, only caring that Nate didn't see. I glanced back quickly to see it landed on the empty chair behind me.

His eyes landed on me shortly after, I smiled as he approached me with a happy expression.

"Hey, you should've told me you were getting coffee. We could've came together." Nate said as he occupied the seat in front of me.

"It's not like I could've read your mind and known you wanted coffee as well." I said with a small smile. I smile when I'm getting nervous.

Nate rolled his eyes playfully "Right. I forgot you're no psychic." He remarked jokingly.

"Go get your coffee, Archibald." I said, smiling.

He left the table and did as I said. My eyes averted from Nate and caught sight of the shift leader.

He pointed to his wrist watch then held up five fingers. I have five minutes left and Nate is still here.

Nate returned to the table but with no coffee in his hands.

"Where's your coffee?" I asked him.