1

There is no calm before the storm.

The small Mason Chip pressed behind my ear felt cold against my skin, its sharp needle pricking me every time I moved. I could hear the loud hammering against the border wall even though our house was thousands of yards away. It seemed to shake the ground, and I was painfully reminded that it was not a Sunday and the Tempests outside continued to try and break down the walls.

"Good morning, Maia," my Mom said cheerfully, smiling as she entered the room. Her hair was pinned up in its usual bun, and I noticed a hint of pride in her gait. She leaned against the doorway, watching me with kind eyes. "Are you ready for the festival today?"

The Offering Festival. I threw back my covers and scrambled out of bed, glancing at my sister's sleeping figure. Daya turned onto one side but did not wake up, and I smiled as I noticed the pleasant look on her face. I darted across the floor to my trunk full of clothes, sifting through them with wide eyes and nimble fingers. After picking out some suitable pants, I stole a moment to quickly glance at the black band around my wrist. "It's already 5:00? Why didn't you wake me? I'm supposed to be there at sunrise!"

She let out a little smirk and rumpled my brown rat's nest of a mane. "I remember my first time at the festival- but I'm not sure I was this excited." Her eyes dampened with tears, and I knew she was remembering when she first met my father. "Just know, if you get chosen, what a big service you will be doing to your country."

I nodded, but we both knew there was no chance I would get chosen as an Offering for the Tempests. Only the best were selected to die for their country. After all, the only thing that kept those menacing creatures from breaking down our border walls was the yearly sacrifices we made- five eighteen- year olds in all, one from each division. They stopped their beating to eat, and we got an extra day of silence and a chance for the upper hand.

My dad stepped into the room too, smile lines wrinkling around his eyes as he saw me. His arm curled over Mom's shoulder as she brushed a tear from her cheek. "You're so grown up!"

I finished getting dressed and quickly pulled my hair up, grinning from ear to ear. "Aw, Mom!" I squealed in protest as she crushed me in a hug. "I'm going to be late! I have to meet Sandra there-"

"Fine, fine- I'll let you go," Mom smiled as Dad gently guided her away. She tapped me on the nose and gently kissed my cheeks. "Have a good time! Do you have your shells?"

I nodded, showing her the small coins in the back pocket of my pants. "Enough for food and stuff." My heart rippled inside my chest- an odd feeling, not one I knew well. Nervousness mixed with excitement? It was hard to tell, but my palms felt clammy and damp. Why was I so anxious? Did I actually think there was a chance that I would be selected?