22

"Later," I assured both of them, craning my neck to get a good look through the dense trees. Rae, Oliver, and the rest of the Tempests navigated through them like they had lived their whole lives in the forest.

I could see some light pass through the trees up ahead, but no scraps of grass or open space to indicate a clearing. Rae stopped abruptly, ducking underneath fronds and branches so thick that I couldn't make out what was beyond them. She disappeared beneath them, swallowed like a cloud in a storm.

It's a tunnel, I realized, squinting, weaving my way to the front of our group. I quickly glanced back at Allison as I stepped towards the entrance. A swift glance at her face told me enough- she was eager to go into the Tempests' camp. Without another second of hesitation, I crawled through the woven brush and a tangle of vines and moss.

When I emerged on the other side, the light was so much brighter compared to the deep, dark forest. I let my eyes adjust, glancing around the wide clearing. Log houses lined the perimeter, small and nestled into the grass, creeks and trickles of water running in between them. In the center was a large bonfire, crackling through the day, as meat roasted and sizzled in a way that made my mouth water. A few makeshift showers and outhouses lined the back.

Tempests buzzed about the camp, setting away supplies, preparing the food, training, walking around, or just talking to one another. A couple people acknowledged my presence, waving or shouting welcomes. I fought off a smile.

No. You can't get comfortable yet.

"Whoa," breathed Allison as she emerged from the tunnel behind me. "How'd they get the supplies to build all this?"

"They intercept the Hopeful's trade lines," I reminded her. "Or... they're probably very resourceful," I admitted.

Oliver, Azura, and Chase appeared in a cluster, and Oliver smiled, waving to several people who noticed him enter the camp. "Alright! Tour time. You'll be formally introduced to everyone at camp during mealtime."

Oliver set off through the camp, pointing out the training cabin, which held an array of weapons as I peeked inside, and the dining area, which was basically squashed, damp patches of ground around the bonfire. Specks of dew collected on my boots as I swished through the grass, taking in the scents of pine and wet bark.

"And this is where you'll be staying," Oliver said, motioning to the smallest cabin. "Only enough to fit six, but since we're short on people, you'll have extra room." He opened the door to the simple structure, which couldn't be more than a couple yards in length, held cots stacked together in one end of the room and a couple cardboard boxes stuffed with extra clothes and blankets.

"It was a storage unit before," Oliver put in as I wiped a smear of dust from one of the metal cot legs.

"I like it," Allison smiled, picking up a scratchy broom from its spot in the corner of the room. "Nice and cozy."

Now that I thought about it, the room did have a rustic smell that reminded me of home.

Chase, who still looked red- faced, mumbled some half- hearted excuse and darted out the door. I could tell he was still mourning his brother, and glad that Oliver decided not to go after him either.

I'll talk to him later, I decided. When he's had a chance to cool down. A pang of pity ran through me, and for a second, I was tempted to track him down. No, he probably wants to be alone right now.

I whirled around, finding Oliver. "Answers. Now. Why doesn't the government keep us in the Prime Houses?"

He sighed. "Okay. The only thing that's keeping them from doing that is Governor Mason. Surprisingly enough, he still has some heart in him."

I chuckled at that, but let him continue.

"He hasn't resorted to complete insanity like the others," Oliver said, adding an emphasized "yet. And, also because of Rae."

"What about her?"

"Well..." he ran his hand through his sandy hair. "I guess there's no easy way to say this. She's not proud of it, but..."

"Spit it out," I ordered as he averted his eyes.

"She's his daughter."