9

We all turned to look at her in surprise, but Azura was the first to speak. "What do you mean?" Her words echoed my thoughts.

She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted as the loud footsteps of the Executives returned. We all shut our mouths and glanced nervously at the hallway.

"I assume you have learned each other's names?" one asked, clicking away at his wristband. He looked up, his eyes cold under his dark hat.

I shook my head. "I'm Maia." These people I might not know well, but I would be spending the last of my days with them.

The girl from Central Division spoke next. "Joanne."

"Chase," said the dark- haired boy, glaring at the Executives. "Not that anyone would care."

The dark- haired girl crossed her arms over her chest. "Why do we have to do this? We're going to die anyways."

The Executive flinched, and I carefully stepped beside her, hoping I could shift the Executive's anger. "What she said isn't false. Is this really humane? We're eighteen."

Stunned silence fell over the group, and I smirked with satisfaction. Hopefully this act would be enough to convince the girl to tell me why she thought the Tempests were a hoax.

"Just say your damn name," one finally snarled, his hand traveling towards his gun. I followed it, knowing his patience had been tested. Had I gone too far?

"Allison Crest," the girl from West Division snapped.

The boy from South Division's voice was barely audible as he squeaked, "Jack," earning another eye roll from Chase.

Everyone turned to Azura, who was still staring at the cameras. "Look, this isn't some tea party, yeah? You don't need to know me. Let's just get this crap over with."

"Excuse me?"

A cold voice resounded through the room, and hard footfall echoed louder than the hammering on the border walls. Louder than the familiar crack of thunder.

A tall, thin man entered the lobby, his gray hair slicked back against his scalp. A hook nose perched over thin lips.

"Chairman Marshall, it is our pleasure-" the Executives stumbled over their words, but he put a bored hand up to silence them.

"Now is not the time for pleasantries, Officer Jake. I'm much more interested in what these five-" he motioned to me, Joanna, Azura, Chase, and Allison, "have to say about our great Governor Mason."

Jack looked eternally grateful for not being singled out, but his eyes widened as the Executives swept him out of the room, leaving us alone with Chairman Marshall.

The listening devices. I had completely forgotten about them during our conversation. Why would a Chairman want to listen to our conversations? Do they suspect something about me?

Chairman Marshall's eyes swept the room until they landed on me. "I'm surprised you didn't tell the others about the bugs."

Chase and Azura's eyes snap toward me. "What?"

I try to keep my calm and look evenly at the Chairman. "I was planning on it."

"Dang it, Maia!" Azura growled, scrabbling at her back.

I shrugged, but honestly, I was surprised that Chase or Azura didn't figure it out.

"Well, I was listening to your entire conversation. So, I might ask, Allison-" he turned to her. "-Why do you think the Tempests are fake?"

Allison set her hands on her hips. "Simple. He-" she began, pointing to Chase, "can't hear them."