5

How?

My vision blurred together and the chatter droned into a faint buzz ringing in my ears as Sandra pushed me up onto the stage. I staggered with little knowledge of my surroundings, and my eyes connected with hers. Sandra was a mixture of happiness and loss, crying as she cheered my name.

Before I knew what was going on, the white haired man had grabbed my arm, and I stood on the green stage next to the other girl, who was staring at me with piercing brown eyes. I could hear faint chanting and applause, but my mind was a whirlwind of thoughts.

I never expected to die this young. I never thought I would have the slimmest chance to be an Offering. But then again, I never thought there would be six Offerings, I never thought our governor would cough up blood.

I wonder what my parents are thinking, watching this at home on the projector. I wonder what Daya will think, I picture her asking where I went, and if I am ever coming back.

For the first time in my life, I think for myself. Is what Eden doing really right, sacrificing the few for the benefit of the many? Is giving the Tempests innocent children- on purpose- even humane?

Why have I never thought of these things before?

I think back to the day in the square, when everyone was rioting. This had to be what they were rioting about- the Offerings.

No. The sacrifices.

But I was resistant to whatever the governor did to those people. They put my name on a list.

Was it a list of who would die, and who would get to live?

I barely get to finish my thought when the huge hologram of the governor clicked off, replaced by a televised version of the other division's selection. I watch without seeing. I am lost in my own thoughts, shivering, numb, and all of Eden will see my tears.

I didn't let them slide down my cheeks. I remained cold, rigid, exactly what Governor Mason would want to see from a peaceful citizen of Eden.

The time for pleasantries is over, and I was not sure what to believe.