2

"Do you need a coat?" Mom shouted as I whirled out the door in a rush, trying to get myself to festival before I could second- guess myself. I smirked quietly to myself and looked back over my shoulder.

"I'll be fine, Mom!" I called. My boots squished against the marshy ground as I sprinted the fifty or so yards to town, hardly able to see in the dark. The town was bright with colorful lanterns and buzzing with people. There was so much noise that I was reminded of that day back in the square...

"MAIA!"

I turned, grinning as my best friend tackle- hugged me, not caring that a couple people were staring. "Sandra!" I exclaimed as she stepped back. Like everyone else at the festival, she was decked out in Eden's colors- green and gold, which suited her eyes. Her black wristband was even decorated with Eden's crest, golden laurels surrounding a pleasant rose.

"Aren't you excited? I think they started a bonfire and are roasting sausages- did you bring shells, too? Maybe we can shop!"

I fought back a laugh as Sandra bounced on the balls of her feet like a child- and I realized she reminded me of Daya. I smiled as I remembered her tugging on my hair, begging me to play games with her. "Of course. It's part of the fun, right?"

"Yes! And I like your shirt, by the way," she said, pointing to my flowy green tunic. My parents had bought it for me as a gift to celebrate graduating high school- and to wear to my first festival.

"Let's go get our new ID's first," I said, motioning towards the white sign flush against a brick wall, pointing to a nearby building. Sandra rolled her eyes, but she knew it was the most important part of the festival, besides the selection for the Offerings. There was barely a line, which was unexpected, as we darted up the steps and into the cold, sterile white room.

Line dividers curled around single cubicles, where graduates gladly received their new ID's, wristbands, and Mason Chips. I glanced down at my wrist, where my sleek black band had grown rather tight against my skin. It was vain to value an object, but I had grown rather attached to my wristband, ever since it was given to me when I turned ten.

I noticed Sandra examining her wristband as well, clicking through the screen so that a hologram of her ID popped up. "I can't believe this was me eight years ago."

I clicked open my ID, staring at the picture of my ten- year- old self. I looked carefree, with bright green eyes, carefully curled hair, and even a couple missing teeth that had yet to come in. The entirety of a happy citizen of Eden. So much had changed since then.

We reached the cubicle, and Sandra went up first, unclipping her wristband. The lady in the cubicle, who had dark hair tied back in a tight tail, took it from her, expertly folding it into a neat white box before setting it aside and presenting Sandra with her new one. The new band was larger, shinier, and darker- if possible- and had buttons lining the band.

"Smile!" the lady said, holding up a miniature camera. Sandra beamed as it clicked, and the lady tapped a few letters into the camera as the band beeped. "Congratulations, Sandra T. Almore, you are now a full citizen of Eden."

I let out a couple scattered claps before Sandra waved me away, too busy with exploring her new band. She hardly noticed as the lady undid her old Mason Chip and replaced it. Sandra didn't even flinch as the needle pricked the thin skin behind her ear.