6

I felt Azura's piercing eyes prick the back of my head, sharper than the needle on my Mason Chip. She'd been staring at me since the beginning of the trip, when we were herded into a car. No goodbyes, but it might be better that way. I didn't think I could hold back my tears if I saw my family again.

I tried to focus on something, anything, in front of me, but the windows were dark and the light was sucked out of me. It took all my willpower not to break down.

"Are you going to talk to me or what?"'

Azura's voice sheared through the silence like it was silk.

I turned towards her, hoping my voice was steadier than I felt. "What's the point?"

She raised her brows and flicked a strand of sleek hair off of her shoulder. "Why are you sad?"

I tried my best to not look startled. The dark- uniformed Executive seated beside the driver could probably hear our conversation in the back. "Oh, I'm not sad. It's an honor to serve my country."

The Executive let out a gentle sigh, so slight that I almost missed the motion. I had said exactly what he wanted to hear.

Azura was not so easily convinced. She simply crossed her arms and leaned towards me. "I doubt the system too, if you're wondering. You shouldn't be here."

Is she trying to tell me I'm not worthy of being an Offering? Or does she suspect that something's wrong with this year's selection? I couldn't help but stare back at her as she calmly drew away. Words formed on my tongue, words that I would have to ask her later without the presence of a government official.

The uniformed Executive turned around in his seat, giving me a glimpse of the windshield as he moved. The sky was grey and stormy, indicating that the pleasant weather of East Division's Offering Festival was long gone. A long, paved road stretched out in front of the car, and I could even spot a few other cars dotted along the horizon. Did they contain the other Offerings, the ones chosen to die with me?

"We're taking you to the Prime House of North Division to meet the other Offerings. You'll undergo two days of testing before being released to the other side of the border wall."

"What testing?" Azura asked, sitting up. Her eyes wandered behind the Executive, and I know she was trying to get a good look at the windshield as well.

"Just some blood tests and samples. We're trying to figure out what to give the Tempests that will offer them a substitute for human flesh."