17

"MAIA!"

I wasn't sure who cried out, but everyone came rushing into the darkness without missing a beat, even Jack. I fought against the cold grasp, trying to wrench myself free, but whatever was holding me had an iron grip.

Allison had been wrong. The Tempests were frighteningly real. I screamed against the hands, kicked anything I could connect my boot with. A sense of satisfaction washed over me as the sharp heel of my foot cracked against ribs. Grunting, it struggled to wrestle me back as I tried to escape.

"SHHH!" It ordered as one hand pinned my arm above my head.

Not it. He.

I stilled and twisted around, trying to get a good look at my captor, but the darkness was too thick for me to see anything. If only I could find the flashlight button on my wristband.

"Tell your friends it's okay. No monsters."

The voice was definitely human, and my shoulders relaxed, even though I kept telling myself I was still in danger. Whoever was restraining me could still be a threat to me and the other offerings.

Even then, I did nothing. I stood, completely frozen, looking into the darkness as the doors slammed shut and the other Offerings jumped.

"Fine." I whispered, and whoever was holding me let go. I stumbled into someone- Allison, by the sound of her grunt- and she clasped my face between her hands. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, pointing into the darkness, my heart racing. "Someone grabbed me," I panted in between breaths.

"A Tempest?"

"I don't know- he seemed human, I don't-"

"Who's there?" Chase bellowed, his voice demanding. He clicked his flashlight on and shined it into the dark, giving us enough light to do the same. For a panicked moment everything was still, but then someone stepped into the light.