one

"chimmy," you call, patting softly on the cushion beside you for your little baby to rest on. "come 'ere." chimmy meows sleepily and obliges, curling into a ball as he closes his little eyes and yawns. your heart melts as the soft tail of his wraps itself around his small body. it was an adorable sight to watch.

you sip on your cup of hot choco and beam as you admire the ice crystals form on the window beside you. you place a finger on the piece of glass, tracing the shapes of the sculpted flakes, feeling the tranquility when you do so. your breathing is calm but steady.

the first day of winter has always been your favourite day. why? because it's the start of everything you have ever loved and more. you don't think of winter as bitter coldness, the little amount of sunlight, the dying trees, or the annoyingly thick wardrobe you have to change into. to you, winter means so much more. winter is the start of warmth and love and tenderness, regardless of the atmosphere being the opposite.

winter is huddling with your family to keep each other warm, hanging out with your relatives whom you haven't seen in ages, getting to catch up with them, sharing funny stories together, cuddling with your loved ones as you watch reruns of your favourite christmas movies, drinking hot choco while getting warmed up under the fireplace, wrapping yourself in wooly hats, thick scarves, cozy sweaters and knitted socks, eating your mum's gingerbread man cookies, decorating the christmas tree with the ornaments you've saved for years, making snow angels as you laugh together with your siblings, and many more.

there's a special place in your heart for these winter things, but one thing you really do love about the start of winter is your upcoming birthday.

born on the twenty fifth of december, it was like you were destined to have a soft spot for winter. you love all things related to the season. and as december comes up, your house will definitely be filled with warmth and happiness radiating through every inch of it.

"i'm so excited for christmas, chimmy. aren't you?" you ask the little ball of fur as you run your hand through him, massaging his face. he purrs in contentment from the massaging, but you take it as a yes for your question. he definitely is as excited as you for christmas. maybe more.

wait, no. no no no, nevermind. no one can outshine your excitement for christmas.

not even your little fluffball, no.

as you are enjoying the view of the snow outside your window, your handphone rings. you place your cup on the bedside table and pick up the phone. omma is calling.. it reads. you smile and unlock your phone, and a high chirp is heard from the other end of the call.

"y/n! how's my favourite daughter?"

you chuckle in amusement at her friendly outburst. "i'm your only daughter, omma. and i'm good, how are you?"

"you know i'm always so giddy, especially since christmas is approaching hmm?"

"i know, omma, even chim chim is excited. aren't you chimmy?," you scrunch your nose as you say the sentence, shaking your head adorably to your baby as he purrs, answering you as he hears his name being called.

"oh! i almost forgot! you'll be coming on the fourth right? we'll be celebrating your brother's birthday together, as always."

"of course omma, how could i forget? i can't believe he's turning twenty eight this year. he's old now," you joke and she copies you. don't get anything wrong, he may be turning twenty eight, but he still acts like a ten year old. nevertheless, you love seokjin dearly. he's your only sibling, how could you not?

with some more banter and whatnot, you finally hang up the call and sigh deeply, falling onto the comfy mattress. you spread your arms wide, closing your eyes as you daydream of the upcoming days of the month. you really are grateful for your family, still having a complete one is something you are very thankful for. you're thankful that you're able to spend time with them, talk to them about nothing or everything, being able to feel the love inside a family. it truly is an amazing feeling.

and this year, there will be a new addition to the family. it's chim chim's first year of spending christmas with you, and you are ecstatic. you have had him for almost a year now, adopting him on the first days of january, not remembering the exact date because you aren't very good at remembering.

from the moment you first saw your baby, you can never take your eyes off of him. he is the embodiment of fluff and cuteness, and you want to squish his cheeks every time you stare at his face. you do it sometimes, but he isn't very fond of being squished a bajillion times. he would let out an annoyed growl and you would frown as he backs off and walks outside your room.

you don't know how you got to name him chim chim, either. but you love it, and you hope he does as well.

"you know what i'm gonna do tomorrow, chimmy? i'm going shopping to find a gift for seokjinnie-oppa. what do you think he'll like?" you rub your fingers on your chin, thinking of something to buy for your brother but nothing comes up.

chimmy meows loudly multiple times, telling you things you could buy.

"fish? no, chimmy i think that's for you." you pout. "milk? chimmy, no i think he has a lot in his house already. —oh! speaking of food, maybe i should buy him new cooking utensils?"

"meoooow," he chirps, rubbing his face on your arms. you grab him softly by his body and land him on top of your body. his round face tilts to the side as he closely approaches to you, licking your cheeks and making you giggle under his soft paws. his tongue tickles you and you always live for these moments.

"chimmy, smart boy." you squeeze his cheeks lightly and he lets you, making your grin wider.

you take a peek of the time on your phone. it was almost midnight and you need to get up early tomorrow if you want to be able to buy the gifts you want before it runs out. you locate your baby to the ground and go under the duvet. you pat the space beside you and chimmy climbs up to the bed, curling again into a ball.

"good night. i love you, chimmy."

you hear him try saying it back, going meowwowwuuu (video). your heart goes soft at his words and melts as you feel his soft tail against your arms. you close your eyes for the last time of the night, having a small smile on your face as dreams overcome your vision.

chimmy really does love you, huh?