eight

cold, chimmy's hands are cold.

the blazing winter breeze keeps blowing where he stood his ground, in the middle of the crowded shopping centre where you last brought your present for your brother, seokjin.

you told seokjin everything that morning. to say he thought you were crazy and aliens are invading your mind was understandable, but after seeing chimmy himself, his jaw dropped to the floor. i must be dreaming, he says as he pokes every inch of the boy's body. chimmy didn't like when he's poked, especially since seokjin did it a little too hard.

"here, take my hand, kiddo," seokjin says and chimmy obliges. seokjin's hand is as cold as his, making the silver-haired boy hiss as their skin touches.

the pair of boys are waiting for you to come out of the store, however seokjin receives a text from you, "i met a friend, gonna catch up with 'em. take care of chimmy for me?" he replies, "sure, but you owe me a sandwich after this."

he knows you're rolling your eyes as you read his text, making him smirk in satisfaction because you're gonna do it anyway, you love your annoying brother.

"let's go, chim," seokjin waves their hands back and forth and gives him a wide smile.

"where a-are we going?"

"finding your y/n a birthday present."

the latte on your hand was warm, contrasting with the bitter coldness from your hands that have been shaking since you've been in the cold for half an hour. you take a sip of the drink, warmth radiating through your skin. you let out a sigh of relief as the sweetness lingers on the tip of your tongue.

"thanks for the treat, namjoon, you didn't have to."

"the pleasure's all mine," he says, dimples poking out when he smiles. "besides, i should've talked to you a long time ago."

you shift in your seat, your shoulders leaning on the backseat. you wonder what could possibly be so important that you two have to meet alone. chimmy sticks on the back of your head, this better be quick.

"this may be hard to believe, but the truth is," he sighs before continuing, "i helped make your dream become reality."

your eyebrows knit together in confusion, "what do you mean?"

"i mean," he recites, "i wish chimmy were real, that's what you wanted right?"

"i-i don't understand—"

"you don't have to," he coughs, "what i wanted to say was, thank you for taking care of him even when he can't do it himself."

it takes a bit of time for you to sink in the information the man has spread, you don't know whether to trust his words or not. but then again, he knew about chimmy and the genuineness in his sentences seem sincere.

"how do i know if i should trust you?", you eye him suspiciously, "anything you're saying right now could be made up and you're just a stalker."

he chuckled, not a second of being offended by your rude reply. "it's up to you to trust me or not, i'm just doing my job here."

"namjoon?", you dug your head low, not wanting to meet his brown eyes.

"what is it?"

"will he ever go back to being a cat?" your low voice stumbles out, breath shivering. just thinking about the topic makes your chest tight. you don't need namjoon to be real or not, you just want an answer. a reassurance so you have something to hold on to.