Chapter 1

Dedicated to Abhil11 for being the first one to comment on this book.

---

Ira touched her burning cheek. A slap wasn't anything new for her. In fact, she was expecting it. No matter how hard she tried to reach Mary's expectations, it was never enough.

She lifted her eyelids and blankly looked at Mary with her deep black eyes, increasing her anger. "Stop glaring at me, you useless couldn't even score good" She lowered her gaze hearing her spat.

"Of course! 90% isn't anything great" Ira mentally rolled her eyes.

"Only a week remains for your result. Trust me, Ira, I won't spare you if you fail to pass it. I want you out of this orphanage. Anyhow" Mary said, gripping Ira from her shoulders.

The result Mary talking about was nothing related to Ira's school. Ira applied for a scholarship which would give her a chance to study in the UK, for which she has taken an exam and waiting for the results.

"I wish the same. Who wants to stay here?" she thought and nodded.

"Now get out of here and wash the clothes you soaked in the morning" Mary yelled. Ira turned to leave when Mary added in a commanding tone, "And listen, don't you dare escape after that. Help the cooks with dinner"

Ira gritted her teeth and nodded, not uttering a word. She walked out of the room, stretching her hands to get back to work.

She went to the washroom and splashed some water on her face to get rid of the burning sensation on her cheeks. She smiled at her reflection and talked to herself, "A few more days and then... Magic. You'll be out of here, Ira" she giggled to herself.

She might be an orphan and lives in poverty, but she looks nothing like a poor girl. She always grabs the best clothes from the donated ones before anybody else, keeps herself clean and presentable and owns a scholarship which provides her education from one of the best schools in the city.

She sighed and went upstairs. A few girls were already on the task of washing clothes. She joined them and washed the clothes she soaked earlier, talking with some of the girls.

She completed her task in three hours or so and hung the clothes to dry, which took her 20 minutes. She went downstairs, massaging her neck and stretching her hands to ease the pain. She noticed a few girls mopping the spacious hall.

"Ira, help us clean this hall" a thin girl shouted with authority.

Ira instantly shook her head as no. She was already tired of washing the clothes, spending more than three hours.

"What do you mean by that?" That girl blocked her way, shooting daggers at her.

"I mean, I can't. I'm tired already" Ira pushed her aside and walked.

"Hey you, railways station" Another girl yelled, making her stop on her track. She turned to look at the girl who said so, fisting her hand in anger.

'Railway station' was the name used to taunt, hurt and annoy Ira. She knows she was found at a railway station when she was maybe a day old and it hurts her. Everyone knows that it is the only thing which affects her, so they use that against her.

She glared at the girl and fisted her palm, eyes burning and jaw clenched.

"Ooo! Someone is looking angry" Another girl joined the previous one and they both laughed, along with some more.

People would usually cry in such situations but Ira was known to handle such things in her own way.

She silently walked to the bucket containing water, which was used to dip the cloth and mop the floor. Both the girls walked behind her, thinking that she was now going to mop the floor but instead, she took up the bucket and poured the dirty water on their faces. Before they could recover from that and react, she took up the dirty cloth and stuck that to both of their faces, making them feel yucky. Other girls who stood witnessing everything, gasped and some laughed at the dirty funny faces of the bullies.