Chapter 2

Days passed usually for Ira, making mistakes all the time and getting punished almost every day. One day while coming back from school, she spotted a red designer gown hanging on display in a store.

"Wow! It's so beautiful" She smiled widely and closed her eyes, imagining herself in that dress.

"I look so pretty" she giggled opening her eyes and walked to the orphanage, dancing all the way as she bought that dress in her imagination.

She kept her bag in a cupboard and took her clothes to change. A girl of her age barged into the room.

"Ira, Mary is calling you" she informed, making her frown.

"I just came back from school. I didn't do anything" she replied, shaking her head.

"You have the power to create problems even staying away" another girl on whom she splashed water that day entered, commenting.

"Aww! Thank you so much for the compliment. I'm so proud of myself" Ira patted herself proudly and that girl rolled her eyes.

"I'll just be back with another punishment. Bye," she waved her hand and left, annoying that girl to no limit.

"Which kind of human is she? Aaahhh! I just hope she goes away asap" that girl spit out in anger.

---

"Did you call me Mary?" Ira knocked on the door of Mary's room. Before Mary could reply, she added, "I just came back from school and didn't did anything yet. Even if I had done anything unintentionally, I want you to give me some new tasks as punishment. I'm tired of..."

"Will you just shut that mouth of yours, Ira? Come in" Mary yelled, annoyed. She went inside and stood in front of Mary, who was looking at the screen of her second-hand laptop.

"You have got the scholarship" Mary informed in a monotonous tone. Ira blankly looked at her until her mind processed what she just heard.

"I cleared the examination?" She asked, her eyes wide and mouth agape.

"Yes, you did it" Mary gave her a tight-lipped smile. For the first time in all those years, Ira could hear a little appreciation in Mary's voice and witnessing her smile, was something unexpected.

"You mean, I'll be going abroad?" Ira just couldn't believe that her dreams were turning into reality. She squealed as Mary nodded in affirmation.

"But there's a little problem. You go, freshen up. We need to meet someone to sort that issue. Go hurry up" she didn't need to tell twice. She ran in a flash and came back after freshening up within a few minutes. Mary was ready to leave, holding her old brown bag.

"Let's go" She dragged Ira somewhere, who was gladly walking with her. A smile not leaving lips.

They walked, walked and walked until they reached a house, newly furnished. That was far away from the area where they lived.

"Why are we here?" Ira questioned holding her hurting knees, tired of walking so long.

"Keep your mouth shut and come" Mary scolded, breathing heavily. She wiped the sweat beads from her forehead with the back of her hand and they went inside.

A lady in her mid-twenties greeted them and asked in a polite tone, "How may I help you?"

"Is this any kind of office?" Ira thought looking at the lady in front of them, wearing professional clothes.

"We are here to meet Mrs. Diwan. We have an appointment" Mary said while Ira was taking in the well-built house.

"Your name, please?"