Chapter 11

Dedicated to kittenismycutiepie😘

---

Ehan swiped the screen and pressed the mobile against his ear, "Hello?"

"Thank God you responded" a childishly feminine voice screamed from the other end. He pulled the phone away from his ear and checked the screen again, thinking who it could be.

"Ehan, you there?" She yelled again.

"Ira this side" she said, clearing his confusion.

"Oh! Hi, Ira" he spoke, bewildered. His voice was hoarse and rough from coughing vigorously.

How he wished it to be a call from his father. He had his Mom's number but not his Dad's one, as he never called him.

"Are you not well?" She questioned, making out from his voice.

"No, I'm perfectly fine" he lied with his sick voice, not wanting to share anything with anyone.

"You sound sick" she pointed.

"No, I'm alrig...." He coughed not being able to suppress it.

"Are you okay? Where are you?" She questioned. He could sense her concern through her voice.

"I'm out of town. Didn't Lily inform you about it?" he asked, sitting at the edge of the bed. He cleared his throat to sound better.

"Yes, she did. But why did you leave all of a sudden? As far as I remember, you said we are gonna study today".

"There was an emergency" he sniffed more than he spoke.

"How did you fall sick? Did you visit the doctor?"

"No. There's nothing serious. It's just flu. I'll be alright in a day or two" he convinced himself more than Ira.

"I wish you were here. I would have come to your place and dragged you to a doctor. You are careless" she said, pulling his imaginary hand and walking a few steps, like dragging him behind her.

He looked at his face in the mirror across him as she said that. His hair was messy, eyes and nose red and swollen, face full of rashes and lips chapped. He looked weird and somewhat scary.

No, Ira. You would scream and run away if you ever saw me like this. He thought.

"You seriously need to visit a doctor. You sound very sick" she said, pressing on the word "very", sounding concerned.

"I will" he whispered, not finding words or the energy to argue.

This is what he wanted to hear all his life; concern. Though it wasn't from the people he wished for, it touched him to know that someone cared for him, as a human at least, unlike his parents.

"That's like a good boy" she patted in space and smiled widely, asking, "When are you going to be back?"

He thought about what to reply. He doesn't know when he'll get better. Usually, his allergy heals in a couple of days but sometimes, it gets double after he eats something.

"I don't exactly know. It'll take me a couple of days or even more" he answered, observing the rashes on his hand, which according to him, may or may not fade away in a couple of days.

"That's too long. Can't you come earlier?" She whined, curling her lips.

"Why?" He asked, looking at the floor.

"I can't study. It feels really weird sitting in the study hall, doing nothing" she reasoned.

"Did you...." He sneezed before could ask anything.