First Meeting

Itachi didn’t know what to expect when Shisui asked him to check-up on his five year old sister when he left for his mission. He knew Shisui was an orphan as of a year ago. Had he really left his little sister alone for a month? He wondered if he would ever become this negligent with Sasuke. He hoped not.

He knocked on the door of Shisui’s house twice. Receiving no answer he ventured into the backyard. There he saw a tiny girl practicing katas against a wooden post. Itachi had seen many people practice katas before, but never like her. Her movements were sharp and precise, and there was force and determination in each strike that did nothing to diminish the fluidity and grace. But it was her expression that struck him the most. The stubborn set of jaw and the fire in the eyes were not something he’d expect from a five year old.

“Who’re you?” She finally noticed him. She looked quite a bit like Shisui, only with half the height, longer hair and a scowl on the face.

He bowed to her and introduced himself. “I am Uchiha Itachi, Naomi-san. Shisui asked me to take care of you while he was away.”

Her scowl deepened. “You’re a kid yourself. How are you supposed to take care of me?”

He wasn’t considered a kid anymore. He was the heir of Uchiha clan. The prodigy who is supposed to bring glory to the clan and fulfil the impossible expectations of the elders and his father. He did not have a heart to tell her that though.

“I am going to graduate from the academy soon.” That would make him a Ninja, a legal adult, at seven years of age.

“They teach you how to take care of kids at the academy?” She raised an eyebrow.

“I have experience taking care of my younger brother.”

“Do I look like a one year old child to you, Itachi-Chan?”

He closed his mouth before he could dig himself further into the hole. Changing the subject would be best. “Would you like to spar with me, Naomi-san?”

She narrowed her eyes, indicating she had seen through his ploy, but nodded jerkily. They briefly put up the seal of friendly spar and launched at each other. What followed was exhilarating. Each of his strike was met meet equal speed and force. It seemed they could almost read each other’s minds as they sparred in way that would almost seem like dancing to an outsider. She was able to match him perfectly. For the first time in his life, Itachi was having fun while sparring, with a grin on his face as big as Naomi’s.

But all good things come to an end. Both of them leapt back, taking note of the fatigue in their muscles. They stared at each other looking into matching newly awakened Sharingan