Tick Tock

Sirens blared as dozens of police cruisers and a crime scene vehicle pulled along the side of the forested road where a body of a young girl was found by a woman and her dog out for an early morning jog. The girl, dressed in a blue raincoat, jeans, and a light sweater, was found lying prone in a pile of leaves. On her neck, ligature marks.

A pair of scuffed, muddy, dress shoes stepped out the vehicle onto the damp pavement littered with the debris of leaves and tree branches because of high winds from the rainstorm the night before.

Wolf McCoy, a fifteen-year veteran officer, approached a rookie officer who took the information from the traumatized witness on the scene. "The same M.O.," he said as the whirl of the red and amber police cruiser lights bounced off his youthful face. "Strangulation."

"This is the fifth one," Wolf said. "Unlike the others, the victim was younger," the rookie officer said. "The previous four were in their twenties and thirties."

Running his fingers through the receding hairline of his ash-blond hair, Wolf stared down at the victim as the crime scene unit took photos and gathered forensic evidence. The terror she faced in her final moments were frozen on her facial features. Her brown eyes were wide opened and dilated, her mouth slightly parted, and her hands clenched.

He gritted his teeth as his gray eyes misted. She looked to be around the same age as his goddaughter who had only recently turned sixteen. "Found it," a fellow officer said pointing downward.

A few inches away from the victim lay a generic wristwatch and a portable music player. "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin', into the future," played from the speaker. "That son of a bitch," Wolf said. He balled his fist. More than anything, he wanted to pummel the person who took the life of this young girl.

"Hey get back," the rookie officer said to a news crew that showed up to get footage.

"I didn't want to have to do this," Wolf said fumbling in his coat pocket for his phone. "I have no choice." "She assisted me in the past I know she'll help me catch this monster." He pressed a number on his speed dial.

"C'mon, C'mon," Sachi groaned pressing the refresh option repeatedly. "Still no Ohio dates," she grumbled, slumping back on her chair. Her phone resting beside her rang. Glimpsing the name on the id, she sighed and closed out the page to Calpurnia; her favorite band's website.

Rolling her eyes, she answered the call. "What do you want, McCoy?"

"I'm sorry to have to ask you this, Seer," he said. "I need a favor. Will you help me with a case?"

"You said that you wouldn't need me," she said twirling a lock of her long jet-black hair.

"I know I did. This, however, is something only you can do. With your ability, we'll be able to apprehend the perp and take him off the streets."

"Okay, I'll make a deal with you," Sachi said biting her lip.

"I'll help you with the case if you'll buy me Calpurnia tickets."

"Didn't you say that they didn't add any Ohio dates?"

"Yes, I did. In the chance that they do, I want a ticket. Deal or not."

"You're playing hardball, Seer." He sighed, scratching his chin. "Okay deal."

"Thank you, godfather," Sachi said smiling triumphantly.

"Oh, now I'm your godfather and not McCoy," he said. "I see how it is."

Sachi giggled.

The playful banter turned somber.

"I'll stop by to talk with you about the details tomorrow after school."

"Okay see you then," Sachi said ending the call. Her smile faded.

After the last case took a toll on her physically and emotionally, McCoy told her he would not rely on her as much as before.

Less than a month later, he broke his word; calling again requesting her to help him in another case.

Though she tries not to show it, Sachi resents her ability because of it taking over her life to the point that she can't focus on normal things. School, SAT exams, junior prom, and college applications should be on her mind. Solving criminal cases should not be part of her schedule. This ability isn't a gift or a blessing. It's a curse.