The Popular People

"Sachi, wake up," Nozomi said shaking her shoulder. Sachi opened one eyelid. Wincing, she shielded her eyes against the glare of the ceiling light brightening her room.

"What time is it?" she said turning away from the glare so her eyes could adjust to it.

"Six-thirty in the morning," Nozomi replied. Sachi sat up. "I have to take Kael home."

"He already left," Nozomi said. Her face somber.

Fresh tears filling her eyes, Sachi gulped. "He did?"

"He left about an hour ago," Nozomi said. "He called for an Uber driver," Sachi recalled the argument they had the night before. "He's angry with me."

"What for?" Nozomi said. "He was worried about you which is why he asked to spend the night."

"It's complicated," Sachi said stepping out of bed and grabbing her phone. Tapping the screen, she brought up her contacts, contemplating calling him and trying to explain the unexplainable.

"Is it about your gift?" Nozomi said.

Stunned, Sachi nearly dropped her phone out of her hand. "G-Gift?" She stammered.

"You thought I didn't know about your ability?" Nozomi said. "Give me some credit. I'm the one who gave you your name. Do you know what it means?"

Sachi shook her head.

"It means blessed child." You were a blessing to me when you were born."

"B-but I didn't acquire this ability until the day at the playground," Sachi said. She gasped. She said too much.

Knowing there was no use hiding it anymore, she sighed while Nozomi waited for her to speak.

"The day at the playground, I grabbed a live wire and was electrocuted. My ability awakened after that."

"I knew something happened to you that day," Nozomi said recalling the feeling of dread that came over her at the moment that Sachi grabbed the wire. "I felt compelled to pray for your life."

"Your prayers saved me," Sachi said, her eyes watering.

Nozomi held her arms outstretched. Sachi ran into them.

"I wanted to tell someone but felt so overwhelmed," she cried, her shoulders quaking.

Stepping back, Nozomi cupped her daughter's tear-streaked face in her hands. "You don't have to bear the burden alone anymore," she said tearfully. "You have me."

Nodding, Sachi buried her face into the crook of her mother's neck and wept, releasing all the pent-up feelings that she held bottled up inside.

Kael arrived at school after stopping at home to shower and change. He said little to his parents except to tell them he would see them later that day before paying the Uber driver to drop him off at school. He didn't see Sachi's car in the parking lot when he arrived.

He didn't want to talk to her. It hurt him she didn't trust him enough to tell him what is troubling her. He took his irritation out on his locker. Jerking it open.

"Didn't get much sleep last night?" a voice teased behind him.

Throwing his head back, he sighed. "What do you want, Callie?"

"A little birdie told me you spent the night at Sachi's house."

"That's none of your damn business," Kael snapped.

"Someone's testy today," Callie giggled. "Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?"

Rolling his eyes, Kael stormed off. "Wait up," Callie said running behind him. She grabbed his arm. "Did you think about what I told you?"

"No, because it isn't true," Kael said jerking his arm out of her grip. "I don't want to hear any more about it, okay."

"I only told you because I care about you," she said. "Well, you have a funny way of showing it," he snarled.

The bell rang.

"I need to get to class," he said walking away from her. "I'm not giving up," she said watching his retreating form.

Sachi pulled into the school parking lot. The crying session with her mother exhausted her. It felt therapeutic but also draining. By the time she left her house, she knew she would not make it in time for the first period. Hopefully, Kael will be in a better mood when she sees him so they can talk. If her mother understood her abilities, he should too.

She turned off the engine and shoved the Bento her mother prepared the night before into her book bag. She exited the car and hurried inside so she would not be late for her second-period class.

Lunchtime arrived.

All morning, Sachi didn't see Kael. He wasn't at his locker when she looked for him between classes. He was avoiding her. There was one place that he couldn't avoid her-the cafeteria. She knew he would be there, a crowd of girls ogling at him, in hopes he'll pay them attention. It became the norm after the last school semester.

She entered the cafeteria. Sure enough, he sat at a table near the window. It's the designated spot where anyone who is popular sat.

When Kael became popular, Sachi found herself relegated to the geek table. They didn't mind her sitting with them. They were absorbed in their own world talking about geek stuff like games, science, technology, and gadgets.

Sachi sat down, took out the Bento box, and removed the chopsticks from its origami paper box. As she picked up the rice, she realized that the table quieted as the group watched her-their eyes glued on her hand holding the chopsticks. She hated being looked upon as entertainment whenever she ate.

Ignoring the gawkers, she took a bite and glanced over at Kael. He ate while staring out the window. Callie was sitting across from him. "Now they're rubbing it in my face," she thought, blinking away the tears in her eyes.

"Ms. Sachi Starlet, report to the principal's office," the school secretary announced over the intercom.

Closing the box, Sachi placed it back in her book bag and stood. Before leaving the cafeteria, she stole another glance in Kael's direction. He was looking at her. Their eyes locked.

Feeling as though she would melt under the intensity of his gaze, she looked away and walked out.

When she arrived at the principal's office, Wolf, looking scruffier than usual, greeted her with a wave. Sachi knew why he took the risk of showing up at her school. It was to get the description of the Time Clock Killer before he claims his seventh victim.