The Blessed Child

Splash!

I sprinted across the puddle of water making my way to the local playground across the street from the apartment building where I live.

Mom told me to be careful since there was a terrible thunderstorm the night before. Kael is waiting for me by the swing sets. "Kael," I yell waving at him. "Hurry up, Sachi," he said. "Look at this," he said as I tried to catch my breath in gulps. He pointed at a tree split down the middle from a lightning strike. Debris from the splintered branches scattered about the playground. "Wicked," he said.

From the corner of my eye, something caught my attention. A downed power line next to the metal fence. No sparks came out of it. Curious, I approached it while Kael and a few other local kids that joined him stared at the splintered tree. Kneeling, I stared at the wire.

Not thinking, I reached out to grab it. Electricity jolted through my body. I could hear the buzzing in my ears. The only thought in my mind was to drop the wire still in my hand. I heard yelling. It was Kael's voice. I had no idea what he was saying. My skin bubbled.

The electricity is surging through me. I make another attempt to drop the wire. I finally let it go. The force of the electrical surge coursing through my body jerked me backward.

I convulsed violently for another few minutes before it finally stopped. To my shock, I was still standing on my feet. How is that possible? I should be dead. I look over my shoulder to see Kael staring at me, his dark eyes wide in horror. The other kids, however, lay on the ground laughing hysterically and holding their stomachs. They thought this was funny. I could have died at the age of eight.

Playtime over, I headed home. Kael was too shocked to speak. I didn't tell my mom, cooking in the kitchen, what happened and headed straight to the bathroom. The electric shock took my hair out of its ponytail. My cheeks were red.

Other than that, I had no injuries. I was unhurt. I was scared, however, to turn the water on in the sink for fear of being electrocuted again.

It was after that that I experienced the emotions and feelings that I knew weren't mine. They were someone else's.

My godfather realized my ability during his investigation of a missing twenty-year-old woman. He had a file in his hand when I tugged the sleeve of his shirt. "It's dark," I said gasping for air. He scrunched his brow. "Dark?"

"It's dark and cold," I said, trembling. "Sachi," he said. He knelt beside me. "What's wrong?" "Basement," I said wheezing. "I'm in the basement. Please find me."

It turned out that the missing woman's husband had beaten her unconscious and buried her alive in the basement of their house. McCoy found her before she succumbed to a lack of oxygen. Her husband was arrested, tried, and convicted for attempted murder.

After that, McCoy would ask me to assist in other cases. We kept it between us not to alarm my parents. They aren't aware of my clairvoyance. Neither is Kael. Only McCoy knows. It's our secret.

Sachi sat back on the sofa as McCoy sat the tan leather briefcase on the table in front of them. She could see that something troubled him. "When was the last time you shaved?" she said pointing at his five o'clock shadow. "The day before yesterday," he said not amused.

"Where's Inoue?" he said.

"You're the only one who calls mom by her last name," Sachi said. Wolf tapped his fingers on the table. "She went to AsiaTown," Sachi said. "She told me she would stop by there before coming home after dropping dad off at work."

Wolf nodded. "Good." He opened the briefcase. "So far, the Time Clock Killer has been good at not leaving any physical evidence so we can identify and catch him<" he began.

"Time Clock Killer," Sachi said wrinkling her brow.

"That's what the media has started calling him," Wolf said. "The killer always leaves a cheap wristwatch and an MP3 player playing a lyric from Fly Like an Eagle next to his victims thus the nickname."

"I see," Sachi said making a face.

"I need your help to locate him before he kills again," Wolf said.

"My abilities don't work like that, remember," Sachi said. "I usually see what the victim sees and feel what they feel. Not the perpetrator."

"I know that," Wolf snapped. He immediately regretted his harsh tone when Sachi flinched. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just frustrated."

He took out a crime scene photo from the briefcase. It was a picture of the killer's latest victim-the young girl. Sachi stiffened at the sight of it.

"We found her yesterday. Usually, his victims were older people but now...," he paused.

"That's why we need to stop him before he snuffs out another life."

"I understand, godfather," Sachi said nibbling her bottom lip.

"I want to take you to the crime scene in hopes that you will see something that we overlooked," Wolf said. "Something that will help to point in his direction."

"I can try. I can't promise you anything," she said.

"I'll take what I can get," Wolf said rising from the sofa.

They headed out the door into the brisk air towards his silver Mustang.

"Brr. I should have worn a heavier coat," Sachi said clinging tighter to her thin jacket. "I thought the temperature was supposed to be warm and sunny not overcast and dreary. You never know with Cleveland weather."

She glanced at her godfather who hadn't uttered a word since they exited her house. "I guess the weather matches the mood," she mumbled.

Starting the car, Wolf turned on the heat. "Better," he said. Sachi nodded.

The drive on the way was quiet.

To arrive before sunset, Wolf took a back road route. Crime scene tape tied on nearby trees covered the spot where the body lay. Shutting off the engine, Wolf and Sachi both exited the vehicle.

It was eerily quiet except for the roaring of engines from cars containing curious onlookers passing by.

Taking a breath, Sachi approached the spot. She pictured the body in her mind prone on the ground. She could see her lifeless eyes and clenched hands.

Sachi took another breath. She saw flashes of street lights, rain on a windshield, and a gold-plated alarm clock being wound up with a black-gloved hand.

The images stopped.

"What did you see?" Wolf said pacing back and forth.

"I'm not sure," Sachi said.

"So you saw nothing useful is that what you're telling me?" he said folding his arms.

"I saw street lights, raindrops on a windshield, and someone wearing a black glove winding up a gold-plated alarm clock, okay!" Sachi shouted. "I'm doing the best that I can!"

"I know, Seer," Wolf said. "I'm sorry for pressuring you. I know how much you hate that."

He took out a pen and notepad and jotted down what Sachi told him.

"Can we get out of here now? Being here creeps me out," Sachi said.

"Yeah. I'll take you home."

"You better get me front row tickets at Calpurnia's show for all my efforts," she said.

"I promise you. When we catch this killer, you'll have the best tickets in the house."