Mercy

Stifling a yawn, Wolf poured himself a cup of coffee and approached the cashier at the gas station. "Give me twenty on pump seven please," he said as the clerk rang up his purchase.

For the past hour and a half, he drove aimlessly through town while Sachi, focusing her energy, tried to sense her mother's and Callie's whereabouts. So far, they have come up empty. His patience wearing thin and the fuel in his tank getting low, he stopped by the nearest gas station to get some air and clear his thoughts.

Pushing the glass door open, he stepped out into the chilly air and took a swig of the scorching hot coffee, burning his tongue. "Shit!"

Grumbling, he flicked his tongue against the pieces of flesh hanging from the roof of his mouth. He sat his to-go cup on top of the roof of his Mustang, removed the cap from the gas tank, and inserted the nozzle.

As the gas flowed into the tank, he leaned back against the vehicle thinking over their dire situation. "If we don't find Inoue soon, how will I look my goddaughter in the eyes. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

Cutting off the gas flow, he took the nozzle and set it back into its pump. "I know I rely too much on you, Seer. I know the pressure I've put on you. When this is over, I will make it up to you somehow."

Retrieving the to-go cup, he sat down wearily in the driver's seat, closed the door, and turned the key in the ignition. Sachi jolted, coming out of what he could only guess was her trancelike state. "I got something," she said.

"Where?" He said relieved now that they had a concrete destination. "Edgewater Park," she replied. "That's not too far from here," Wolf said pulling the gear in drive.

"What else do you see?" he said heading onto the Interstate. "A view of downtown and waves breaking against the shore," Sachi said. "Okay," he said.

He reached across the console and nudged her on the shoulder. "This nightmare is almost over." "I hope so," she said. "The sooner he's caught, the better."

He nodded in reply.

She glanced over at her godfather. His face was tight, and his gray eyes narrow. She could feel the fury bouncing off him.

"What will happen to the Time Clock Killer when you catch him?"

"We'll charge him with murder," Wolf replied matter-of-factly. "I know that," Sachi said. "What will happen when he goes to trial?" "He'll either get a life sentence or the death penalty," Wolf said.

"With a life sentence, there's a chance that he could be paroled right?"

"Hopefully, that won't happen," Wolf said. "He should never get out of prison. If he does, he'll kill again."

"Can a murderer like him be rehabilitated?"

"Aren't you a question box," he said. "I'm just curious that's all," she said.

"Look at his psyche," Wolf said. "This perp enjoys killing. He gets a thrill out of it. You described him reading the news reports and keeping clippings of how he has outsmarted us so far. He loves this. He loves the attention. He thrives on it."

"All the people he has killed so far are young girls or older women," Sachi said. "Maybe he hates women, had a domineering motherly figure in his life, or can't find a date."

Wolf shrugged. "That's possible. His victims are random. There's no pattern to it or rhyme or reason. Also, none of the victims showed evidence of a sexual assault.

If you ask me, I think he has a God complex. He has the power in his hand to end a life. I think that is why he chooses strangulation as his method because he loves staring into their eyes as their life expires. He shows them no mercy. He's a monster."

Sachi shuddered. "I don't want him to have the satisfaction of ending mom's life. I won't let him."

"Neither will I," Wolf said. He pressed his foot on the accelerator. "We end his killing spree tonight."

They arrived at Detroit Avenue, parked, and exited the vehicle. They ran towards the sandy beach when Sachi halted seized by a new vision.

She stood by the white Cleveland script sign--the lit city skyline in the background.

Tick tock. Gurgling. Crows cawing.

"The picnic area," she yelled panicked. "We may be too late."

Wolf ran ahead of Sachi arriving at the picnic area. He jolted at the sight before him. On the ground near a wooden picnic table lay the body of a woman. She looked like a broken doll.

He hurried over to her.

The platinum blond, a young woman, lay on her back on the ground with a coiled rope wrapped tightly around her neck. Her eyes, smeared with mascara, were closed.

"Oh dear God no!" he cried out. As he leaned over her, he heard a gurgling sound. His eyes widened. She might still be alive.

Carefully, he lifted her to loosen the rope. Air rushed out from her lips. He laid her down gently, removed the rope, and felt her wrist for a pulse. She had a faint pulse. He pulled out his phone from his back pocket and dialed 911.

Arriving moments later, Sachi felt dread that their efforts to save Callie was in vain as the girl lay lifelessly on the ground.

"She's still alive but barely," Wolf said seeing the uneasiness in his goddaughter's eyes.

Though relieved that Callie is alive, Sachi's trepidation didn't dissipate. Instead, it grew. Her mother was still in harm's way.

"That bastard is still out there with mom," she said kicking the dirt, frustrated.

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
Into the future