Requiem

"Sachi, sweetheart it's time."

"Okay dad," Sachi said. Sighing, she checked her appearance in the full-length closet mirror one last time. Her dress blouse was wrinkled, the pants legs of her slacks too long. "I should've hemmed them," she mumbled.

She grabbed her hairbrush off the dresser and brushed her hair, tying it up into a ponytail with an elastic band.

She grabbed her purse and exited her room to join her dad waiting in the living room. Used to seeing him in his work uniform, it felt weird for Sachi to see her dad dressed in a dress shirt and dress pants.

His back to her, he held the curtain partly open, peering out the window.

"Are they still out there?" She said.

"No. They finally left," he said warily.

Sachi smiled weakly at her father. The past few days were rough on them both-especially on him. He had bags under his eyes from lack of sleep and has barely eaten since the Time Clock Killer took Nozomi.

Her name out in public brought another intrusion in their lives-the media spotlight. Media trucks occupied their quiet street. Reporters nosed around their house to where a few neighbors complained about the disruption.

Reporters from all over the world called their house to request an interview. A Hollywood producer even called to ask to buy the rights to their story. All they wanted, though, was to be left alone.

"He's here," Lars said relieved, his tense face relaxing.

Wolf parked his Mustang in the driveway alongside the family car. Police returned it after processing it at the scene of the abduction. Lars couldn't bring himself to drive it. Their lives have been in upheaval since that night.

As Wolf stepped out of his car, Kael arrived in his Toyota Camry. Wolf acknowledged the lanky teenager with a hand wave while making his way toward the door. Lars opened it.

"Is she ready?" he said stepping inside.

"I'm ready," Sachi answered before her father could respond. "Hey," Wolf said trying to keep the mood light. "Hey," Sachi replied.

A light knock at the door disrupted the awkward silence.

Kael, wearing a blue cashmere sweater over a white dress shirt and black slacks, stepped inside the house. "Hey Mr. Starlet," he said.

"Call me Lars."

"Hey Lars," Kael said with a tiny smile. He looked past Lars' shoulder at Sachi standing behind him twirling her ponytail. "Hey Sachi," Kael said, his eyes softening.

Glad to see him, Sachi ran over to him and puckered her lips while standing on her tiptoes. Kael bent his knees a bit and lowered his head to meet her lips.

"Ahem," Wolf cleared his throat. They parted from the chaste kiss. "We need to be on our way if we want to avoid any media presence."

"Right," Sachi said blushing alongside an equally crimson-faced Kael.

Everyone exited the Starlet home while Lars locked the house. The days after the abduction and media presence, he had extra security installed. It was also a deterrent to keep curiosity seekers away.

Sachi went with Kael while Lars followed Wolf to his Mustang.

"How are you holding up?" Kael said while Sachi fastened her seatbelt.

"I'm holding up as best as I can," she said. She grabbed his hand, threading their fingers. "You've been a huge help. I don't know how I'll ever thank you."