Time Keeps On Slippin

It's dark. I can't see anything. I'm blindfolded and gagged, my hands and feet zip-tied. I hear weeping in a corner--a girl's voice.

Clomp. Clomp. Someone is approaching. They remove my blindfold. Focusing my eyes, I see clocks everywhere. Grandfather clocks, alarm clocks, cuckoo clocks, wall clocks, desk clocks, and various wristwatches. The timers are all going off simultaneously. The sound is chaotic. I want to cover my ears.

I look up to see my abductor. His face is unmasked and silhouetted. The corners of his mouth are upturned as though he's mocking me. He turns and sits at a desk and turns on the computer screen. He types in a word. Devlin Galen. He reads the latest news articles. Taped on the wall are newspaper clippings of how he has evaded capture.

The girl, her voice muffled, starts weeping louder. He bangs the desk. I jump. I see a small frame in the room's corner. Her back is to me. I see a shock of messy blond hair. Her breathing is labored as she grunts against the gag in her mouth. He stands up and stalks over to her-

Groaning, Sachi opened her eyes. She feels a hand wrapped around hers. Turning, she looked around the sterile hospital room. In the corner stood her father and McCoy having a quiet conversation. She turned her attention to the person holding her hand.

Kael sat across from her, rubbing his eye with his free hand. "Kael," she said. He stirred then sat upright. "You're awake," he said, his eyes puffy and bloodshot.

Her father and godfather rushed over. "Thank God," Lars said, his face ashen. "I was worried about you. You were hysterical to where the nurse had to sedate you. You kept saying over and over, "He's got mom."

"That's what I want to talk to you about," Wolf said, the worry clear on his face. "It's okay," he said when Sachi looked at him with hesitation. "I told him everything."

"It's a lot to absorb," Lars said shell-shocked.

"He took mom," Sachi said tears welling in her eyes. "He's got Callie too."

Wolf clenched his jaw and gripped his notepad so tight it crumpled.

"They're being held in a place where there are a lot of clocks. Maybe a warehouse," she said.

"An officer found a shattered gold-plated alarm clock at the scene of Inoue's abduction. The same one that you saw," Wolf said.

Nodding, Sachi quickly wiped away a tear from her cheek.

"I saw something else," she said. "A name. He typed the name, Devlin Galen."

Wolf snorted. "He's a smart ass."

"What do you mean?" Lars said confused.

"Devlin Galen," Wolf said. "It's a play on words.

At their bewildered faces, he scribbled on his notepad. "Look," he said holding it up for them all to see. The words rearranged, it read, "Devil n Angel."

"Damn," Kael said.

"Thankfully, the wise guy doesn't know that I have an ace up my sleeve," Wolf said staring pointedly in Sachi's direction. "Isn't that right, Seer?"

Kael and Lars both mirrored the same perplexed stare at the nickname.

"What else did you see?" Wolf said.

"An Oldsmobile," she said. "A beige Oldsmobile Cutlass."

"Finally something concrete," Wolf said. "I don't mean that as a slight," he added. "It's just that for all this time, he's been one step ahead of us. Now we have the advantage thanks to you."

"It's for naught if we don't find mom and Callie soon," Sachi said throwing off the bedsheets and attempting to climb out of the hospital bed.

"Whoa, whoa," Kael said reaching for her when she lost her bearings and stumbled. "I can't stay here," Sachi protested. "But-" Kael started.

"Just hold on," Wolf said holding up his arms to calm the frayed nerves in the room. "We're going to find them, okay," he said as the room quieted. "You've got to keep a level head. I know that's easier said than done believe me."

"I can see what mom sees. She knew about my abilities," Sachi said. "She can lead us to her whereabouts. I know it."

"I want to come too," Kael said.

"Stay out of this, kid," Wolf said. "This is too dangerous for you. You'll end up getting in the way."

"I want to help," Kael said.

"You can by staying put," Wolf said in a firm voice. "This is my final warning."

Sighing, Kael knew there was no point in arguing with the officer. Sachi grabbed her clothes, placed in a clear plastic bag, from underneath the bed. "I'm going to change."

"Kael," she said motioning him over. "Can you come here for a second?" He walked over to her and took her hand, interlocking their fingers.

"Thank you for being here with me," she said. "Where else would I be?" he said. "Sorry I didn't return your call right away. I had a lot on my mind. It all seems trivial considering...," he paused.

"Considering what's happening right now," Sachi said. "Yeah," he said nodding. "I passed the driver's test and got my license by the way," he said grinning for the first time.

"That's great," Sachi said. "I'm happy for you."

"Be safe, okay," he said. "I don't want to lose you."

"I will be," she said. "We'll get my mom and Callie back."

He lowered his head, mournful. "I was awful to her."

"Don't do that," she said.

"What?" He said scrunching his brow. "You're blaming yourself," she said. "This isn't anyone's fault. Callie isn't a nice person. She doesn't deserve this either." "I know," he said.

"One more thing before you go," he said. He leaned forward and kissed her. Her stomach fluttered.

Biting her lip as they parted from the kiss, she clumsily stepped back, pointing at the bag in her hand. "I'm just going to change out of this gown now."

She turned the knob, backed inside, and shut the door. Moments later, Kael heard her singing a chorus from a Calpurnia song. He knew it was her coping mechanism.

She'll never be the same
And I'm the one to blame
When you get off that train
Off that train

"Young man you've grown up so fast," Lars said startling him. "Happy belated birthday." "Thanks," Kael said. "You're sixteen now," Lars said. "That means you got your driver's license." "Yes sir," Kael said. "Good, because I'll need a lift home," Lars said. "I could use the company."

He gazed pensively out the hospital window. "I need something to keep my mind off of...," He fidgeted with the top button of his uniform.

"I know," Kael said. "We both do."

A minute later, Sachi exited the bathroom now dressed. Her face one of determination. "I'm ready," she said. "Let's go get that scum off the street," Wolf said steely-eyed.