No Rest for the Weary

Wolf arrived at W Saint Clair Avenue after the station received numerous calls of an altercation in an apartment building.

Not wanting to get involved thinking it to be a domestic dispute, witnesses, who overheard the struggle, called the police.

Wolf stepped onto the marble floor of the brick building's stylish lobby. "No security cameras," he said gazing up at the high ceiling. His phone buzzed with a voice mail notification. It was from Sachi. He listened to it.

"We're too late, huh," he said. He pounded his fist against the wall. "Damn it!" "Sorry," he said when his outburst caused the officers on the scene to stare at him.

Trying to stay focused, he turned his attention to a nearby officer. "What do we know so far?"

"Witnesses said that the woman screamed for help," she said. "She said that the perp was following her."

Wolf shook his head. "She screamed for help and no one...,"

Frustrated, he took out his notepad and drew doodles. "I need to follow up with Seer. She said in her message she saw a glimpse of the Time Clock Killer."

"McCoy, sir, we just got a call-in of a body found on The TowPath Trail," an officer said interrupting his thoughts. "The description fits the missing woman."

"TowPath Trail," Wolf said. He pursed his lips. "That's the route of the Ohio and Erie Canal right?" "Yes sir," the officer said grim-faced.

He checked his watch. "I'll have to talk to Seer tomorrow to get that description."

After giving the office further instructions, he headed out of the apartment building to join the team that was heading out to the crime scene.

Kael couldn't sleep. No matter how much he tried to lie in a comfortable position, he could not fall asleep. With his long legs, he had to hang them awkwardly over the arm of the sofa which after a while made his legs cramp and stiffen.

He threw the blanket off him and stood up to stretch.

His thoughts turned to Sachi. "Is she awake?" Curious, he walked over to the edge of the hallway. He saw a glow of light coming from under her bedroom door.

Tiptoeing down the hall, he approached the door and knocked lightly. "Sachi," he whispered. He heard a thump. The door cracked opened. "Come in," she said.

"You couldn't sleep either--"

"Shh mom will hear you," Sachi said covering his mouth. "She's a light sleeper."

He nodded. She removed her hand from his mouth and shut the door. "What were you looking at?" he said pointing at her phone on her bed. "I was watching Wasting Time," Sachi said. "Calpurnia released the video recently."

"Consistent," Kael thought to her near obsession over the band. "How are you feeling," he said noticing her puffy eyes. "A little better," she said.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Talk about-" she said.

"What is stressing you to the point of having panic attacks," he said.

"I have a lot on my mind," Sachi said. "There's school, exams...,"

She stared into his eyes. "Other things."

"Other things," he said arching his brow. "Like what?"

She thought back to seeing him and Callie talking at the mall. "Nothing," she mumbled.

He threw his hands up exasperated. "You're doing it again," he said.

"What?" she said twirling her hair.

"You're shutting me out," he said. "Something is bothering you besides school and exams. I wish you trusted enough in me to tell me what it is."

Tears welled in her eyes. She wanted to tell him about her clairvoyance. To confide in him about the physical and emotional toll her abilities have on her. But she didn't want to involve him in her problems. This is a burden she had to carry alone.

"I can't," she said tears falling down her cheeks.

"You mean you won't," he said. His voice cracked. "Kael," she said reaching out to him. He turned away from her and opened the door. "Goodnight, Sachi," he said closing it behind him.

Weeping, Sachi climbed back onto her bed and buried her face in her pillow.